Request for a new scanning mode

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
blaubär

Re: Play by ftp or SMB without synchronization

Post by blaubär » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:23 am

In that older topic there were two further ideas :
Outsider4 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:34 pm
My thought was to just scan the folder structure on connection but not the files in the folder until a file in that folder is accessed, which unless it contains a huge amount of files, would be a quick process that could happen in the background.
That would probably mean changing NMP's internal database structure, because complex objects with a lazy initialization scheme would have to be treated as elementary units.
Roj wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:58 pm
Failing that, can you add the facility to allow other apps like FikeBrowser to sream folders, groups of files or individual files from a SMB-based NAS directly to Neutron with the option to either play the files immediately or add them to the existing queue?
And that would mean to take the remote directory, use another app to stream it, and then play the stream. I fail to see the point in that - if you've got an app that can stream the folder, where's the problem ? NMP can play streams, or can't it ?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:15 am

shall we join the two topics ? This one here into viewtopic.php?p=12820#p7222 "Disable indexing for LAN SMB" ?

emilio

Post by emilio » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Thanks for yours replies.

SCENARIO

I have a big collection of classical music (7 tera - 300.000 files). It's very difficult, for me, charge the library. I tried with SMB, FTP, DLNA-UPNP...Always
it takes 10-15 minutes...

FIRST POSSIBLE SOLUTION (Yes)
Yes, just use Neutron to play folders on a SMB share and skip the scanning step.

SECOND POSSIBLE SOLUTION (No)
Use another app to stream it, and then play the stream.
This makes it difficult, impossible, to create listening queues (for ex: from ES Explorer in Android to NMP, or from FOLDERS in Windows to NMP). It is necessary to load and listen to one song after another.

YOUR QUESTION
"Shall we join the two topics ? This one here into viewtopic.php?p=12820#p7222 "Disable indexing for LAN SMB" ?"

YES, IT'S THE SAME PROBLEM.

Thanks
Emilio

blaubär

Re: Disable indexing for LAN SMB

Post by blaubär » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:10 pm

So this is the merge of "Play by ftp or SMB without synchronization" into the older "Disable indexing for LAN SMB".

blaubär

Request for a new scanning mode

Post by blaubär » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:05 am

Let's generalize this a bit : we've got a directory to use as source. For performance reasons the usual scanning process isn't suitable. But we want it to be scanned, because we need some degree of direct access to its contents. Therefore to stream the whole caboodle isn't a solution.

So if we don't want all of its files to be scanned, what else should be scanned ? Proposal : the complete directory structure. At present NMP stores the directories and the files, so it would just have to omit the latter.

When the user selects one of these directories for playing, what should happen ? Should this directory be treated as a single track and its contents played ? If yes, in which order ? Or should then this directory be scanned on the fly followed by an insertion of its contents into a playlist, the queue, some yet-to-be-invented new permanent structure, which could then be played in the usual way ?

emilio

Re: Request for a new scanning mode

Post by emilio » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:08 pm

FIRST
I'm sorry for my english

SUB-SCENARIO 1)
In the folders files can be presented in many ways: file APE (normaly one file), file FLAC (one file or many files), files WAV (normaly many files), files M4A (normaly many files), files MP3 (normaly many files), file CUE or M3U, and so, and so....

SUB-SCENARIO 2)
The folders can be presented in many ways and many levels:
A) COMPOSER/COMPOSITION;
B) INSTRUMENT/SOLIST INSTRUMENT (TOSCANINI)/COMPOSER/COMPOSITION OR ANTHOLOGY;
C) INSTRUMENT/SOLIST INSTRUMENT (TOSCANINI)/ORCHESTER/COMPOSER/COMPOSITION OR ANTHOLOGY;
D) ANTHOLOGY/ ENSEMBLE (LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTER)/PERIOD (1970-80)/DIRIGENT/;
E) ANTHOLOGY/ ENSEMBLE (LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTER)/DIRIGENT/;

and so, and so, and so....

FIRST NECESSARY SOLUTION
"So if we don't want all of its files to be scanned, what else ?Proposal : the complete directory structure. At present NMP stores the directories and the files, so it would just have to omit the latter." YES.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION 1) (FOR ME, NOT THE BEST)
"directory be treated as a single track and its contents played."
The problem is that I can want to play only one of the files in the folder. I have to enter IN THE folder.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION 2) (FOR ME GOOD)
"directory be scanned on the fly followed by an insertion of its contents into a playlist, the queue", AND/OR
the file(s) read inside the folder can be directly played by a 'tap' on the file.

Thanks,
Emilio

brimley

Simple browse and play network share

Post by brimley » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:30 am

I wish neutron had a simple browse and play of network shares like VLC or the samba app do.
No scans that take days and don't work anyway, no metadata, tags or anything else just browse my folders and play.
Please please please

blaubär

Re: Simple browse and play network share

Post by blaubär » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:12 am

Well, can you browse with the explorer ? Then you can open a single file with neutron from there.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:30 am

And for a small directory ( if I understand you correctly the problem is with big directories ) you should be able to create a temporary source for that directory.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:43 pm

Besides, there are reasons for Neutron to scan a directory first rather than just play all files. E.g. vlc just plays one song after another but cannot avoid gaps between the songs. I'm curious to know how they'll implement gapless playback in vlc version 4
The new version of the media player comes with a new input manager that manages inputs. One of the advantages of using a new input manager is that VLC supports gapless audio
and whether that new input manager will do some sort of scan before playing.