Import ratings from song collection

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
m4a4

Import ratings from song collection

Post by m4a4 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:18 pm

Since Neutron opens music files as read-only, rating them within Neutron isn't worth doing for me (since it won't be available outside of Neutron). So I've rated them from my PC. However, it seems like Neutron doesn't read the rating tag.

Are there any plans to add a feature to grab the music file ratings?

I would rather not try to rate the thousands of songs I have in Neutron based on what I've already done on my PC :P

tgutwin

Re: Import ratings from song collection

Post by tgutwin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:16 am

Hi
I am another user that, slowly over years, clicked those rating stars and have about 75% of the thousands of songs rated.

I posted a forum entry just the other day on how you can access the ratings table in the SQLite database that Neutron uses.
http://neutronmp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3656

It also shows how to link it with the SongName that is embedded in the music files.

It allowed me to transfer my ratings from an old (broken) phone to a new one.
It would also allow you to relate your ratings on your PC to the songnames and ratings inside of the Neutron database file.

Its a bit technical to do, but if you want, I thought it might help.

Your mileage may vary ;)
tom

m4a4

Post by m4a4 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:22 pm

I did look at your post, but since it was referring to another database created by Neutron I didn't look into it further. I have only very basic knowledge of SQL, so I wasn't going to try adapting it.
Also, I'm on BB10. Did a quick look and the directories aren't the same (as in, can't find where Neutron is installed). That's also why I didn't look into it further :P

Otherwise, I'm curious how would I get started on PC (as in get the argument to put into the last step without too much manual work)?

tgutwin

Post by tgutwin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:40 am

Do you mean the song titles?
You would get them from the meta-data tags in your song files.
Use a Tag editor that can dump the data out to a text file. I use command-line tools ogginfo or mp3info .

Thats what Neutron puts in its plist_music_details table.
It should be identical to the songNames pulled straight from the song files.

tom