Crossfade improvement

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
Ptilton

Crossfade improvement

Post by Ptilton » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:44 pm

As a radio personality, I can say that transitions between songs (segues) are not usually true cross fades. Rarely is it necessary to fade a song in and since songs typically end in 1 of 3 fashions (fading out, cold ((or abruptly)) or naturally ((more of a sustained final note)), it isn't usually necessary to fade out either. The best way to make a smooth transition is based on the volume, or level, of the song which is ending. In other words once the level of the song playing drops to a certain level, within a specific time frame of the end of the track, it would signal the next song to start. In this manner, as a song begins to fade out, the next song begins. Innocent areo the 2nd song may start several seconds before the end of the 1st song. If the 1st song ends cold, the 2nd song does not begin until that song actually ends.

The best way I have seen to accommodate this is for the user to set a timeframe which the segue may occur (for example 10 seconds) from the end of songs. Then they would enter a value to determine the audio level of the 1st song before the 2nd song is allowed to start. Adjusting this variable, will allow for each user to customize the transition rate of their music.

A 3rd element to the segue could also be included to actually fade the 1st song out over a variable number of seconds once the 2nd song has begun . This could be useful for those songs that just seem to keep fading on and on… and on.

I don't suspect these features would be terribly complex to add, and would certainly give your product a very unique and useful feature. I have not seen a music player able to accomplish this since I used winamp with a special plug-in.... and nothing outside of the windows platform.

Caelin1

Re: Crossfade improvement

Post by Caelin1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:15 am

+1

thegrimripper

Post by thegrimripper » Fri May 08, 2020 1:54 am

+1... FooBar has a feature called "Continuator" that offers advanced Crossfading support and Plex has "Sweet Fades" which is not configurable... having an advanced Crossfade in Neutron would blow these other two options out of the water, IMO!

SystemII

Post by SystemII » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:56 pm

+1 please

DJK

Post by DJK » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:01 am

Please upgrade the Crossfade!

Pauldewit

Post by Pauldewit » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:21 pm

Yes, Crossfade improvement would be great. What i do now is. Set the fade in time to 0. And the fade out to 5 seconds. This works great with songs that end with a fade out. But songs that have a "standing" end should not be faded out. Adding a threshold level to the existing crossfade option would solve this. When the music goes below the threshold (within the range of the fade out) the next song should be started . I always leave the fade in time to 0 so the new song has its maximum level from the start. Hope this will be implemented. It would be a very powerfull feature.

Chrisjockey2

Post by Chrisjockey2 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:26 pm

Your so right Pauldewit, crossfade should be made professional. But helas we are 3 years further and nothing yet :roll:

I don't know why but most palyers do only do the ugle crossfade like Neutron also do. Although most options of this app are very professional crossfade function is not.

So count me in +1

Tom#

Post by Tom# » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:07 pm

Count me in also! I would pay to have this feature. I'm a DJ and would make my job easier.

I bought a PC just so I can run the old Winamp and Sqrsoft cross fading module on it.