Submit your proposals and ideas here.
DoubleQ

PLAY NEXT function

Post by DoubleQ » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:09 pm

HI Guys

Its struck me the other day when using the player,
and wishing to play a particular track next
when I really didn't want to interrupt the track that was playing,

( and couldn't spare the time to edit the length'y playlist/queue I had already setup
or wait for the existing track to finish playing )

That wouldn't it be great if Neutron had a [ play next ] function.

Which would when the existing track completed, would play the track tagged to play-next next :-)

So how about implementing it as a ( pop up) long-press function when selecting a track ??

i.e when you hold your finger on a track in the Library or a playlist:

a sub-menu pop's up with two choices, PLAY-NOW or PLAY-NEXT

what behaviour player might resume after "play-Next" track has be played could be defined in the user options:

( examples)
1) return to original playlist, ( playing what would have been played next, had "play-Next" not interrupted the sequence )

2) branch to playing the track which would follow the track selected by "play-next" according to the playlist rules..

Loving the player Guys.

Thanks for continuing to support older version of Android OS.

best regard: Jon C

blaubär

Re: PLAY NEXT function

Post by blaubär » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:32 pm

Well, that would be sort of a special queue, like e.g. PowerAmp has.

I don't quite see why you don't use the existing queue for that purpose.
If you use the existing queue for lengthy edits - you could do that with a playlist instead.

DoubleQ

Post by DoubleQ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:51 am

" I don't quite see why you don't use the existing queue for that purpose. "

( without intending to appear rude ) Like me, the user might only have a few spare moments

for example in a Party Situation,
you have already setup an extensive playlist, and that " Special Friend " asks you to play " That Special Song " next.

Yet you don't wish to spend time fiddling with the playlist ( ignoring your other party guests )

or risk interrupting the song that is presently playing ( upsetting everybody )

Or you might be busy doing something else ( for example at Work/Office and only have a few spare moments )

You would really like " Such and Such Song/Album/Folder/ " to play NEXT, but cant wait around.

So you have this special command, that pre-sets the " NEXT to PLAY "

What behavior happens after your change could be defined elsewhere in the player settings

regarding " Poweramp" have never tried it ( Neutron is the BEST player )

regards: Jon A Colley

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 am

Yes, I understand what you meant.
It seems you use the queue for regular playing and then have the problem that you cannot easily interrupt it and play another song.
My proposal is : don't use the queue for regular playing, but a playlist. It won't take you any longer to use a playlist, compared to the queue.
And when the friend comes along and wants the song to be played immediately, you put the song into the queue and play the queue.
And then you continue with the playlist.
As I understand it, that's what the queue and playlist features are for: we already have a "play next", and that is the queue.

DoubleQ

Post by DoubleQ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 am

would this still work if no-one was there to change between existing " Playlist" & Queue (playlist) when the song being played finishes ?

You see, in this situation:

Im not wishing to be DJ

( could use two copies of Neutron & a Mixer, and manually select each song for that ) :-)
Last edited by DoubleQ on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:11 am

What's missing in the queue, if you want to use it as a play next, is the behaviour at the end of the queue.
As it is implemented now, when the queue has ended, playing stops.
We would need the option to resume the regular playlist or category from where the queue had beed started.
blaubär wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:37 am
The "queue" seems to be a temporary playlist. You can add individual songs to it. There's an option that it should start playing once a song has been added to the empty queue. You can access it by adding its icon to the top panel or via the library.
I would guess that you could add the first song, start playing it if it doesn't start playing automatically, then add further songs while it's playing. I would expect it to play all the songs in the queue as long as there are any.

EDIT : I tried it out, it works that way. It does start playing the queue automatically if you've configured it that way and you added a song and it had been was empty and nothing else had been playing. You can add while playing from the queue. Once the queue is empty neutron just stops playing.

DoubleQ

Post by DoubleQ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:17 am

does is work without INTERRUPTING the song that is presently playing ?

i.e used as you suggest, " queue " functions as PLAY-NEXT, or PLAY-IMMEDIATELY ?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:58 am

DoubleQ wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:17 am
does is work without INTERRUPTING the song that is presently playing ?

i.e used as you suggest, " queue " functions as PLAY-NEXT, or PLAY-IMMEDIATELY ?
The queue can be configured as to whether it should start playing immediately after it has been filled : Queue > Autoplay

7122019135739.jpg
7122019135739.jpg (29.01 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
If that isn't activated it probably needs to be started manually.

Okay, I agree, the queue isn't a "play next", at least not as it is now.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:43 pm

So we would need either a new functionality play-next which optionally either plays a selected track at once or after the currently playing track has finished and then optinonally resumes the previous playlist, album, whatever. Or, if we want to do that using the queue, the queue would have to get further options: "autoplay" would have to get a third value "off/on" -> "off/immediately/next" and a new option "autoresume".

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:25 am

DoubleQ wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:09 pm
Which would when the existing track completed, would play the track tagged to play-next next :-)
We're a bit nearer :) to this.
See Release Notes, 2.12.0 on Android has just become available:
dmitrykos wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 pm
* New Dynamic/Auto-start Queue behavior: if playback active and track from another tracks list is enqueued, it will start playing and once finished the playback will switch back to the previous list.
And that works, just successfully tested it. Resumes exactly at that point in the original track (not just the original list) where the switch to the queue took place.

@Dmitry: thanks a lot !