HLS Streaming

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
Duffy Moon

Re: HLS Streaming

Post by Duffy Moon » Thu May 14, 2020 10:48 am

AndRAM wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:39 am

It's certainly weird as this url works in a browset in a desktop connected to the same wifi. Go figure... at any rate this has nothing to do with Neutron.
I'm in the UK, so no geoblock for me. They still don't work though.

I'm a bit confused as to why you concluded that it has nothing to do with Neutron. Install VLC on your Android phone and see if they work there (every HLS stream I've tried works perfectly in VLC).

AndRAM

Post by AndRAM » Thu May 14, 2020 4:34 pm

Duffy Moon wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:48 am
I'm in the UK, so no geoblock for me. They still don't work though.

I'm a bit confused as to why you concluded that it has nothing to do with Neutron. Install VLC on your Android phone and see if they work there (every HLS stream I've tried works perfectly in VLC).
Well, both Chrome and Firefox have native HLS support in Android (Referer header included). Just pop the url in the address bar and it starts playing.
In my case (Spain) browser playing requires a UK vpn connection too to work.
With that up, all of them (chrome, firefox, neutron) work, without it, none do.

Being UK based, I'd carefuly check the url for any mistakes, or maybe leading/trailing spaces, etc.
I'd check with another HLS stream and see. Truth is, this BBC one shouldn't be geo-restricted at all, but it is for me.

Here's an unencumbered test one (no header/geo restrictions):

Code: Select all

http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/samples/bipbop/bipbopall.m3u8
Of course, Neutron doesn't display the video in this stream, but it plays de bip bop audio without any trouble.

Oh, you might also check what Neutron version you have installed. Mine is 2.13.4.

Duffy Moon

Post by Duffy Moon » Thu May 14, 2020 4:53 pm

I use exactly the same URL in VLC and Neutron, but VLC works and Neutron doesn't. I have the same version.

AndRAM

Post by AndRAM » Thu May 14, 2020 5:27 pm

Duffy Moon wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:53 pm
I use exactly the same URL in VLC and Neutron, but VLC works and Neutron doesn't. I have the same version.
Then I'm at a loss here...

I'd try to manually re-enter this url anyway.
I know I've been bitten by some weird non-visible, or just similar, unicode character when copy /pasting before. Neutron's text fields have notoriously poor editing characteristics (no cursor, no viewable text selection, ...)

Or, as a last resort, maybe reinstalling without importing configuration?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu May 14, 2020 5:52 pm

AndRAM wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:27 pm
I'd try to manually re-enter this url anyway.
I know I've been bitten by some weird non-visible, or just similar, unicode character when copy /pasting before. Neutron's text fields have notoriously poor editing characteristics (no cursor, no viewable text selection, ...)
Yes, a cursor would be nice. As a workaround : type anywhere, copy, paste with the paste-button :

paste.PNG
paste.PNG (13.58 KiB) Viewed 1998 times