Missing tracks / duplicate metadata

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
or.fz

Re: Missing tracks

Post by or.fz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:39 pm

I could possibly do that, but I suppose that it would be more logical to solve a software problem at the software level, not at the user's.

Note that every user with a large enough music library is bound to be affected by that bug.

Also note tat it took me weeks to understand why some tracks were systematically ignored:
  • I contacted the support, by mail, and I got the answer that it was strange, indeed. That was all. So I decided to investigate the problem by myself.
  • I deleted the albums with missing tracks (thoses that I had found, of course) and reloaded them, for nothing.
  • I encoded the tags manually, which sometimes solved the problem, sometimes not (depending on the title I set, but I didn't knew it at that time).
  • I forced the NAS media server to reindex all the albums.
  • I deleted Neutron's folder and database, and set it up again (which takes ages, given the extravagant possibilities of customisation).
  • I tried to find the difference between the ignored tracks and the others, by comparing them one by one, tag, by tag.
  • Before I finally understood that the differences weren't the root of the problem, but the similarities. - Yes, it obvious when you find it, not before, I assure you.
I hope that you appreciate my customer's loyalty and perseverance and that you'll seriously consider my findings, the improve your application.

Thank you.

blaubär

Re: Missing tracks / duplicate metadata

Post by blaubär » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:07 pm

Ok, thank you for the detailed feedback ! I'll move the topic to Development so that the developer can take that up as a feature request.

Request : enable NMP to show multiple tracks sharing the same metadata, without having to enable "replace the metadata with the file name".

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:41 pm

... it's not easy to reproduce the effect though ...

explorer.PNG
explorer.PNG (4.27 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
mpetag.PNG
mpetag.PNG (12.61 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
not-replace.PNG
not-replace.PNG (22.37 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
replacemetadat.PNG
replacemetadat.PNG (17.61 KiB) Viewed 2531 times

or.fz

Post by or.fz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:49 pm

Will you find back my settings, if I send you the db file?

For the rest, all my music library is stored on a Synology NAS, with Synology's media server installed (I also tried MinimServer, but it didn't made any change - one of the tests I performed and forgot to mention in the list above).

I installed Neutron on all the Samsung devices that I own, with the same results (Galaxy Tab S2 & S5, Galaxy S8 phone).

or.fz

Post by or.fz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:51 pm

And those are losless CD or high resolution FLAC files.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:41 pm

or.fz wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:49 pm
Will you find back my settings, if I send you the db file?

For the rest, all my music library is stored on a Synology NAS, with Synology's media server installed (I also tried MinimServer, but it didn't made any change - one of the tests I performed and forgot to mention in the list above).

I installed Neutron on all the Samsung devices that I own, with the same results (Galaxy Tab S2 & S5, Galaxy S8 phone).
No, I can't re-work the database, I'm no developer. Let's see if the developer tells us what he thinks this is, bug or feature, he's the one who can say what NMP is supposed to do.

or.fz

Post by or.fz » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi M. Blaubär,
Do the last updates bring a solution to this problem? If yes, should I do something in Neutron's settings?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:20 am

or.fz wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:06 pm
Hi M. Blaubär,
Do the last updates bring a solution to this problem? If yes, should I do something in Neutron's settings?
As you depend on the filename, not the tags, no change in settings would seem motivated by the updates. Just try it out with the new version.
dmitrykos wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 pm
2.12.9:
* New Media Library option - Guess Metadata: to turn off tags guessing from the filename if they are missing in the file.
[...]
- Folder - Setup: Track Nr not working if Filename option active for a folder entry.

2.12.8:
! Fixed:
- Filename option not working for individual folder;
[...]
The question would be whether Neutron is supposed to show multiple tracks which only differ in filename or directory. I couldn't reproduce the effect that you see. If it persists after a full recan I suggest you write to the developer at neutronmp@gmail.com (again), if he thinks they should show up perhaps he has further ideas for logging, analyzing or debugging.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:02 am

or.fz wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:06 pm
Hi M. Blaubär,
On second thoughts ... try disabling the Guess Metadata option, perhaps that's the problem.