A-B Compare DSP Effects-Equalizer, etc. ON-OFF switch?

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
TechnoMonster

A-B Compare DSP Effects-Equalizer, etc. ON-OFF switch?

Post by TechnoMonster » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Is there a simple way to turn On/Off all processing functionality?
I'd like this for comparing processed versus non-processed music?

This would also be a great selling tool to have that A/B comparison of the enhanced audio!

Thank you,
TechnoMonster

blaubär

Re: A-B Compare DSP Effects-Equalizer, etc. ON-OFF switch?

Post by blaubär » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:21 pm

TechnoMonster wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:00 pm
Is there a simple way to turn On/Off all processing functionality?
I'd like this for comparing processed versus non-processed music?
You mean is there a single switch to disable all DSP, that is equalizer, compressor, surround/crossfeed, tempo, speaker, and switch to a bit-perfect-mode ? No, there isn't.
TechnoMonster wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:00 pm
This would also be a great selling tool to have that A/B comparison of the enhanced audio!
What do you mean by "enhanced audio" ? High-Resolution ? What do you want to compare ? High-Resolution-Input with and without High-Resolution-Output ?

TechnoMonster

Post by TechnoMonster » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:53 pm

I was hoping for a way to compare the raw audio (exactly what comes in) to the fully enhanced audio output, with the touch of one switch. An instant A-B comparison of "untouched sound" to the "fully touched sound" of all the Neutron audio enhancements that we have enabled.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:40 am

TechnoMonster wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:53 pm
I was hoping for a way to compare the raw audio (exactly what comes in) to the fully enhanced audio output, with the touch of one switch. An instant A-B comparison of "untouched sound" to the "fully touched sound" of all the Neutron audio enhancements that we have enabled.
There is no such switch. Afaik Neutron aims not to enhance the sound, but to deliver it as naturally as possible ( as meant by "high fidelity" ). Equalizer, compressor, crossfeed, surround etc are means to that end. So there would be not much point in such a switch. But of course you are free to use Neutron to enhance the sound, and then it might make sense to be able to easily switch the complete DSP on and off. I take this as a feature request then and move this topic to Development. A possible place might be along mute, crossfeed/surround and dither on the EQ window.

buttons.PNG
buttons.PNG (46.89 KiB) Viewed 3924 times

theSplund

Post by theSplund » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:59 am

Could I ask that both the Crossfeed and the Surround toggle is shown please? Only I have noticed that Neutron doesn't always switch correctly between the two when jacked into a dock (for speaker use) and having headphones plugged in.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:59 pm

theSplund wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:59 am
Only I have noticed that Neutron doesn't always switch correctly between the two when jacked into a dock (for speaker use) and having headphones plugged in.
The reason for this is described here :
blaubär wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:35 am
Situation : Neutron can automatically switch between crossfeed and surround depending on the type of device used for output. Devices that have a microphone are regarded as headphones. For these devices crossfeed is activated, all other devices get surround.

Problem : there are headphones without a microphone

Proposal : add a further option to the existing auto-switch-option to make the distinction not depending the existence of a microphone but depending on the output device

Example : one could then use crossfeed for line-out and bluetooth but use surround for the speakers

theSplund

Post by theSplund » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:19 pm

Any update on this? I'm on 2.18 still, and rather not try the 'legacy'(?) version of 2.19.1 until I'm convinced it's been fixed. Thanks

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:05 am

theSplund wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:19 pm
Any update on this? I'm on 2.18 still, and rather not try the 'legacy'(?) version of 2.19.1 until I'm convinced it's been fixed. Thanks
No update on this proposal. 2.19 isn't legacy but Storage Access Framework. There's a workaround .

deathxwish

Post by deathxwish » Mon May 02, 2022 5:43 am

Create a copy of your current profile and use it, then deactivate all the DPS effects and when you change to the first profile (the one with the DPS) they will be automatically activated as you had them.

It is basically what you are asking for, if in one profile you had equalizer activated and in another one not, when you change to the one that does not have it activated, it will be deactivated automatically . I hope to have helped you.

theSplund

Post by theSplund » Sun May 15, 2022 10:56 am

blaubär wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:05 am
theSplund wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:19 pm
No update on this proposal. 2.19 isn't legacy but Storage Access Framework. There's a workaround .
Ok, thanks - think I'll stick with what I have for the moment given my initial headaches setting up the scan and keeping them 'stable' (for want of a better word) as my FiiO has two SDs (one of which I understand to be 'unusually mounted' by th eOS) and internal storage too - recanning can be time consuming as it is :-)