Jriver MC/lossless streaming hijack?

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
nitephlight

Jriver MC/lossless streaming hijack?

Post by nitephlight » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:15 pm

earlier today i managed to share a jriver mc17 webplay stream by manipulating the server cmd line controls and providing neutron with a pre authenticated link. this works in principle like the Google music streamer plug-in currently available for neutron (brilliant work). i am looking to develop a similar interface to relay hijacked audio streams from jriver (or similar audiophile grade servers) without compromising lossless bitrate.

this is already possible through jriver's proprietary mobile streaming app which allows uncompressed stream source (FLAC 16/24bit) which is encoded and decoded by fantastic jriver codecs. the connection over 4g vzw is faster than spotify on 3g with 4x the bitrate. the catch is connectivity and poor buffer/cache management. and what does android do to afterwards... I'd rather deliver quality source to quality neutron :)

that being said, some ?s, this is specific to hispeed 3/4g primarily:
- assuming that net buffers can be tweaked to accommodate this incoming data load, what constraints does neutron have on initiating playback? (it simply fails on anything larger than mp3 it seems).

- if media server does not provide direct file urls, neutron must rely on a middle man to initiate audio playback, correct? if so any one have thoughts on an elegant solution (i love gmusic streamer but there is an API for deving, no?)

I'm sure ill have more questions later.. fyi plugplayer has always teased at the possibility of this.. just no luck, any experiences?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Jriver MC/lossless streaming hijack?

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 pm

> it simply fails on anything larger than mp3 it seems

It is because FLAC is in't in the list of codecs which can be received by network/streaming connection. If you wish I will try adding it, so streaming shall become possible if you supply URL to FLAC source like: http://my.ip/music/some.flac. Neutron supports TCP, UDP, HTTP, RTP, MMS protocols.

> if media server does not provide direct file urls, neutron must rely on a middle man to initiate audio playback

Well it depends in which protocol that server is operating. If it is not some private but known then we need to know which one.