Support for bit perfect playback of MQA files

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
New_Jerusalem

Support for bit perfect playback of MQA files

Post by New_Jerusalem » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:12 am

It seems that certain DSD files, especially files ending by the extension .dff suffix cannot sometimes be detected. It would be very helpful if manual scanning of music files is offered as an option.

At present, it seems that real-time PCM to DSD conversion is limited to DSD128 only. Hopefully, real-time conversion to DSD256 can also be achieved. Also I would appreciate it if a choice of various advanced filters is available for PCM to DSD conversion that would be similar to those, say in HQPlayer.

New_Jerusalem

Re: Improve DSD file detection and real-time DSD conversion

Post by New_Jerusalem » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:50 am

Also I would appreciate it if full MQA core decoding is offered by Neutron Music Player so that a MQA file can be fully unfolded through a MQA rendering DAC.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:53 am

New_Jerusalem wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:50 am
Also I would appreciate it if full MQA core decoding is offered by Neutron Music Player so that a MQA file can be fully unfolded through a MQA rendering DAC.
There are critical opinions, e.g. MQA is bad for music.
[...] Hi-fi manufacturers and software developers will have to adapt their products and license the technology [...] End customers, having paid a premium for MQA music via licensed content providers, will also have to buy MQA certified players at increased cost, with a license paid for each unit shipped [...] ... there is a form of fingerprinting in the file that will check that at each stage of the production and distribution process MQA has been paid. [...] solving a problem that has already been, or could be, solved by free and open alternatives
As I understand it this might cost extra money for each Neutron installation, and I doubt that Neutron's current licensing and business model would be compatible. Besides, most audiophiles nowadays want lossless high-resolution, so I don't see the point in paying money for an improved lossy compression.

WitzyZed

Post by WitzyZed » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 am

At present MQA files are played back at the sample rate designated in their file tags. I don't necessarily know what's going on behind the scenes there relative to what happens in something like USB Audio Player Pro. In that, any and all EQ is verboten because of MQA bitstream being locked down tight. In Neutron EQ performs as it normally would without restriction.

No desires either way, just sharing my experience with it :)

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:31 am

WitzyZed wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 am
In Neutron EQ performs as it normally would without restriction.
MQA in Wikipedia
MQA-encoded content can be carried via any lossless file format such as FLAC or ALAC; hence, it can be played back on systems either with or without an MQA decoder. In the latter case, the resulting audio has easily identifiable high-frequency noise occupying 3 LSB bits, thus limiting playback on non-MQA devices effectively to 13 bit. MQA claims that nevertheless the quality is higher than "normal" 48/16, because of the novel sampling and convolution processes.

New_Jerusalem

Post by New_Jerusalem » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:53 am

Some DACs do both MQA core decoding and rendering, but others only have MQA rendering capability that needs MQA core decoding software to fully unfold. It would be great if Neutron offers MQA core decoding as an option, since it can recognize a MQA file.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:54 am

blaubär wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:53 am
Besides, most audiophiles nowadays want lossless high-resolution, so I don't see the point in paying money for an improved lossy compression.
... which also seems to forbid equalizing :lol:

WitzyZed

Post by WitzyZed » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:14 am

You quoted yourself to say what, exactly?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:35 am

WitzyZed wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:14 am
You quoted yourself to say what, exactly?
To make an additional point, to show that there are several reasons rather than one not to use MQA.

WitzyZed

Post by WitzyZed » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:47 am

^_^ I much prefer that explanation to my initial thought, were you to be saying audiophiles don't use EQ (which would be puzzling!)