Support for bit perfect playback of MQA files

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
blaubär

Re: Improve DSD file detection and real-time DSD conversion

Post by blaubär » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:07 pm

WitzyZed wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:47 am
^_^ I much prefer that explanation to my initial thought, were you to be saying audiophiles don't use EQ (which would be puzzling!)
Well, I don't belong to this illustrious circle :D so I don't know for sure but I'd expect those among them to use EQ who cannot afford to invest in high end sound transducers.

WitzyZed

Post by WitzyZed » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:08 pm

To the topic, .dsf can hold metadata and .dff should not be able to. Perhaps this is affecting the scanning and recognizing of the DSD files in question. Of the 15-20 DSD albums in my Neutron library 100% of them are in .dsf and tags were added with either MP3Tag on windows or kid3 on Mac. Neutron sees them fine.

New_Jerusalem

Post by New_Jerusalem » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:14 am

WitzyZed wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:08 pm
To the topic, .dsf can hold metadata and .dff should not be able to. Perhaps this is affecting the scanning and recognizing of the DSD files in question. Of the 15-20 DSD albums in my Neutron library 100% of them are in .dsf and tags were added with either MP3Tag on windows or kid3 on Mac. Neutron sees them fine.
Yes, it takes much scanning, reinstalling and folder renaming before .dff could be detected.

New_Jerusalem

Support for bit perfect playback of MQA files

Post by New_Jerusalem » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:22 am

Unfortunately, it seems Neutron does not seem to support the bit perfect playback of MQA files. I have just bought a Meridian Audio Explorer2 that features both MQA decoder and renderer with LED lights that can also change color depending on whether a MQA file is being streamed through the DAC. They glow green for MQA files and blue for MQA Studio file playback.

In order for this to be realized, a bit perfect configuration of the music is required, but unlike, say, Onkyo HF player, there seems to be no way for me to do so in Neutron Music Player.

New_Jerusalem

Post by New_Jerusalem » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:34 pm

blaubär wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:53 am
New_Jerusalem wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:50 am
Also I would appreciate it if full MQA core decoding is offered by Neutron Music Player so that a MQA file can be fully unfolded through a MQA rendering DAC.
There are critical opinions, e.g. MQA is bad for music.
[...] Hi-fi manufacturers and software developers will have to adapt their products and license the technology [...] End customers, having paid a premium for MQA music via licensed content providers, will also have to buy MQA certified players at increased cost, with a license paid for each unit shipped [...] ... there is a form of fingerprinting in the file that will check that at each stage of the production and distribution process MQA has been paid. [...] solving a problem that has already been, or could be, solved by free and open alternatives
As I understand it this might cost extra money for each Neutron installation, and I doubt that Neutron's current licensing and business model would be compatible. Besides, most audiophiles nowadays want lossless high-resolution, so I don't see the point in paying money for an improved lossy compression.
No extra licensing money is needed, if Neutron does not want to develop MQA core decoding capability. As I have said, the Meridian Explorer2 is both a decoder and renderer. The bottom line is for Netron to enable bit perfect playback easily, and the rest will be handled by a DAC. Otherwise, the DAC will not be able to do the decoding and rendering.

blaubär

Re: Support for bit perfect playback of MQA files

Post by blaubär » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:11 pm

So you you want Neutron to be able to recognize MQA files and optionally transfer them unchanged to the DAC, should the DAC support this. That would be comparable to the "DSD, DSD over PCM" option for direct transfer of DSD to the DAC. Of course in such a mode of operation no DSP ( Digital Signal Processing ) would take place.

New_Jerusalem

Post by New_Jerusalem » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 am

blaubär wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:11 pm
So you you want Neutron to be able to recognize MQA files and optionally transfer them unchanged to the DAC, should the DAC support this. That would be comparable to the "DSD, DSD over PCM" option for direct transfer of DSD to the DAC. Of course in such a mode of operation no DSP ( Digital Signal Processing ) would take place.
I guess you are right. Actually Neurton can already recognize an MQA file and is one of the few mobile apps to do so.

yawg

Post by yawg » Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:29 pm

Just click "Bit-perfect mode" under Profile in Neutron.