Multiple and additional eq-prests

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
hhasert

Re: Multiple and additional eq-prests

Post by hhasert » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:05 pm

Cool, that works best (provided the list stays on Git for a long time which is probable). The only parameter missing in the ParametricEQ.txt file is the pre-amp value. I understood from my questions to 'jaakkopasanen' that he intends to add it to the file as well to be complete. I will double check with him to see if he actually plans to do that.

He said :
"The preamp is still missing from the existing parametric eq files but I definitely should put it there regardless of if this Neutron thing goes forward or not."

On the decission to use Git instead of a zip and inclusion of the pre-amp value:
"Very good to hear this! I might do it this weekend but can't promise."

hhasert

Post by hhasert » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:50 pm

The preamp is added to the parametric eq files, example : 'Preamp: -7.2 dB'

So, everything is now available in the parametric text files, hope the work on Neutron is progressing.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:22 pm

Thank you for the update on this. Preamp can be calculated even if it is not specified, basically it is the loudest EQ band minus some headroom. But if it is included then yes it can be used directly.

blaubär

Re: Implement Equalizer settings for Headphone like Wavelet

Post by blaubär » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:30 am

hhasert wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:32 pm
Yes, the popular ones, not sure if there is an easy way to generate them from the measurements, probably running the python scripts they provide do the trick ( on a holiday now so no time to dig in). What wavelet does is on os dsp level and i think 16 bit, so i cannot trick it by selecting system dsp in neutron ( which is what they suggest) . Have a look at https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq which is the base for wavelet to get the eq settings. I read there is a include that might do some tricks, hopefully easy to integrate :lol:
Has been implemented in 2.16.0
dmitrykos wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 pm
2.16.0:
* New:
- Frequency Response Correction DSP (Playback - DSP Effect): to correct FR of the output device, collection of 5000+ AutoEq presets for 2500+ headphones for flattening their FR.
[...]
I'll add a post to the manual topic How to work with the equalizer once I've found out how to use this.

hhasert

Post by hhasert » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:24 am

I saw it in the playstore. The only question I have is how to see the eq curve, I assume it is applied before the equaliser ? Which means I need to set the eq off to have only this normalisation on and can tinker with music style in the eq ?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:31 am

blaubär wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:04 am
[...]
In "Settings > Playback > DSP Effect > Frequency Response Correction"

20210208_085946.jpg

you can now choose from the existing eq presets and a list of 5000 additional ones

20210208_085959.jpg

20210208_090016.jpg

If you do this and activate the feature then the preset chosen here will become active but NOT shown on the eq screen.

Why that ? And what are these 5000 additional presets for ? Why are they named after headphones ?

The additional presets have been created as corrections for the frequency response curves of headphones. Activating one of them should transform the headphone's curve into a neutral one, whatever the creators of the preset thought "neutral" might mean.

The idea is that now that you've transformed your headphones into ones with a neutral frequency response curve you can add sound-improving eq settings on the eq screen, and when you switch the headphones you switch the correctional curve and can keep your predelections on the eq screen as they are.

hhasert

Post by hhasert » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:23 am

I understand, it would be cool to have the option in the eq to see either music style or the combined curve with selecting an option. I would rather see the preset curve to check it was applied, probably just my curiosity.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:53 am

You can check it by playing pink noise and then switching it on and off "Settings > Playback > DSP Effect > Frequency Response Correction". And yes, being able to see it on the eq screen would be nice.

hhasert

Post by hhasert » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:42 pm

The pink noise experiment was not conclusive ;-) I just tried some songs with my manual profile versus the one read from autoeq and I could definately hear the impact and they seemed identical. Really nice that I can now add other profiles to color the music on top of that. I still feel I should be able to see the result in the eq screen. Time for a new feature request perhaps ?

Thanks to the developers and special thanks of course to jaakko pasanen, the author of the autoeq scripts and collector of the headphone profiles.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:03 pm

If you want to see the curve you can see it where you edit it, see How to work with the equalizer .

20210209_201447.jpg
20210209_201447.jpg (77.68 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Yes, we could propose to optionally add it to the eq-screen. But I doubt that would be a good idea. The normal eq works at another location in the effect chain order than the new one, the two are not just superimposed into one resulting equalizer. Its effects aren't reflected on the spectrum analyzer, so there's reason to treat it differently.

I think of the new eq as a correctional part of the headphones, not a part of the music player, and then it makes perfect sense not to see it on the eq screen .