REDESIGN OF APP INTERFACE

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
debango

REDESIGN OF APP INTERFACE

Post by debango » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:31 am

Can you please take a look at the Onkyo HF Player. It is hi-res player like neutron but much cleaner design. Can neutron interface be cleaned up and made for material design?

blaubär

Re: REDESIGN OF APP INTERFACE

Post by blaubär » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:48 pm

Neutron's main selling point is its audio technology, not the GUI. Which seems to use a generic library that can easily be ported across platforms ( so far Android, Blackberry, Windows, iOS ). On all of which Neutron looks the same, so I guess this library encompasses all graphical elements down to the pixel and doesn't rely on graphical libraries provided by the operating systems, which probably just get the calculated pixels and display them. Therefore Neutron would have no use for a design language like Material Design.

But you're right, Neutron's Graphical User Interface is outdated and could use some reworking. A cursor for the editable text fields would really be helpful, as would be pinch and zoom for track lists and album art, and a better support for landscape mode and big screens .

deathxwish

Post by deathxwish » Mon May 02, 2022 6:03 am

I really like the interface, personally I even had to switch to UAPP to be able to feel a little more comfortable since I think that the Neutron interface is to an inefficient point.
The dream of many is that they update the application, as the other applications did, it took me 3 months to get used to it and memorize where each setting was, some options are almost hidden, If it was a nightmare I must admit, so more people would stop gravitating to other players like I did, but my foolishness gave it another chance.

Despite being the most complete, it lacks a bit of the aforementioned, it can be a headache for normal people, and it should be more pleasant for inexperienced people (you can prove what i say in google play store comments with 3 stars or less, audiphilia forums), being an audiophile is not excuse to keep the UI as it currently is.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon May 02, 2022 6:26 am

deathxwish wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:03 am
[...] being an audiophile is not excuse to keep the UI as it currently is.
Well, nobody needs an excuse in the first place - the app is as it is. If the developer implemented a new GUI then there might be some additional app purchases, but I very much doubt that would pay off. And in the meantime we'd have half a year of bugfixing and frustrated users galore. Nevertheless : the GUI is bad, and would urgently need a replacement. Too bad that nobody will pay for it .

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Tue May 03, 2022 1:11 pm

blaubär wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:26 am
Nevertheless : the GUI is bad, and would urgently need a replacement.
The UI is definitely in need of an overhaul, it is the one thing I think that is well behind any of the other players (good or bad ones) available today. Even the ones with basic audio functionality using standard Android APIs focus on the UI as the reason to purchase.
blaubär wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:26 am
Too bad that nobody will pay for it .
But I have to disagree with this part. Neutron is one of the most expensive players on Google Play Store and even IOS. The users have already paid a premium. And as suggested by several other users, neglecting to implement a UI update suggesting the value is in the audio engine isn't really a great response. One doesn't really have anything to do with the other. Every great app starts with a great interface.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue May 03, 2022 5:02 pm

MotleyG wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:11 pm
The users have already paid a premium. [...] Every great app starts with a great interface.
Well, if you want to see it that way then do so :-) . When I read Neutron's specification of its GUI
It features the sophisticated UI with advanced options and controls for music playback.
I understand a focus on audio function, not graphical design, is promised.

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Tue May 03, 2022 5:21 pm

blaubär wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:02 pm
I understand a focus on audio function, not graphical design, is promised.
I completely understand and agree that the focus is based around audio. I wouldn't want that to change. But to the visuals have not been changed in a very long time, and that is an important thing when it comes to making the interface from us mere mortals to getting Neutron to do what we want. Sometimes it is the ease of use that can make a difference, the actual engine can still do what it wants.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue May 03, 2022 6:14 pm

MotleyG wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:21 pm
that is an important thing when it comes to making the interface from us mere mortals to getting Neutron to do what we want. Sometimes it is the ease of use that can make a difference
Agreed. Afaik the developer also is a mortal :-) , I suggest you ask him directly whether there is any hope.