Transferring to and playing on iOs without iTunes

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
MotleyG

Re: Neutron not seeing created folder on iphone

Post by MotleyG » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:58 am

PneumasaxVI wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:48 am
MotleyG wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:04 am
PneumasaxVI wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:41 pm
I created a separate Music folder on my iPhone and Ipad and Neutron does not see them. I've tried configuring the "Media Library" and tried to add "Sources" all to no avail. How can I get Neutron to see these folders? :twisted:
Music for Neutron has to be stored under the Neutron folder when using IOS devices. That is the only folder that it will permission for from the OS. It isn’t possible as of IOS15 to have a common Music\ folder and had different audio apps access it.
So, how can I copy music files from a general folder into the Neutron folder?
Two ways, depending on your situation;
1. The iTunes method - open iTunes and connect your phone. Select that phone, and at the bottom of the nav pane on the left, choose files. You will see the Neutron folder if the app is already installed. You can drag and drop music files and folders to this window and they will copy from your main computer.
2. If the files are already on your iPhone, use the Files app. Go to what ever folder has your music. Long press it and select to either copy or move your music. Then navigate to the Neutron folder, long press on any blank space in that folder and select paste. Then Neutron can see these files.

This is not a unique thing for IOS. It is a part of the sacred Apple garden. Each app can only use the folder browser option for its own directory. No app can use a “standard” music folder. The exception is most music apps can access the Apple Music local files, as these are in the shared iTunes library on the phone. Neutron should be able to see that too. But this is not the same as what you had described earlier.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:54 am

MotleyG wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:58 am
Each app can only use the folder browser option for its own directory. No app can use a “standard” music folder. The exception is most music apps can access the Apple Music local files, as these are in the shared iTunes library on the phone. Neutron should be able to see that too.
That works on my iPhone SE with iOs 15. The music that I downloaded locally via Apple Music can be seen by Neutron, via a source that had automatically been created when I installed Neutron and treats iTunes as a servcice.

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:19 am

blaubär wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:54 am
MotleyG wrote:
Each app can only use the folder browser option for its own directory. No app can use a “standard” music folder. The exception is most music apps can access the Apple Music local files, as these are in the shared iTunes library on the phone. Neutron should be able to see that too.
That works on my iPhone SE with iOs 15. The music that I downloaded locally via Apple Music can be seen by Neutron, via a source that had automatically been created when I installed Neutron and treats iTunes as a servcice.
Right, but that only works for files that are supported by Apple. The is only up to 24 bit and 48kHz max. For any hi res audio, it needs to be transferred directly.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:16 am

MotleyG wrote:
1. The iTunes method - open iTunes and connect your phone. Select that phone, and at the bottom of the nav pane on the left, choose files. You will see the Neutron folder if the app is already installed. You can drag and drop music files and folders to this window and they will copy from your main computer.
Might not always be that simple - my iPhone SE only show this ( Neutron app is installed ), no "files" :

Screenshot 2022-06-27 071523.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-27 071523.jpg (9.11 KiB) Viewed 1969 times

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:38 am

blaubär wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:16 am
MotleyG wrote:
Might not always be that simple - my iPhone SE only show this ( Neutron app is installed ), no "files" :

Screenshot 2022-06-27 071523.jpg
That is just the quick link to your SE. You need to go to the actual device screen. Just below the standard menu links at the top of the iTunes window there should be an iPod button.
iPod select.png
iPod select.png (32.04 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
When you click that it will show you the full device page, including a list of the settings options in the nav panel. The bottom one is the files page.
iPod settings.png
iPod settings.png (91.6 KiB) Viewed 1964 times

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:28 pm

MotleyG wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:38 am
You need to go to the actual device screen. Just below the standard menu links at the top of the iTunes window there should be an iPod button.
iPod select.png
Yep, that works, thanks !

Screenshot 2022-06-27 152713.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-27 152713.jpg (66.33 KiB) Viewed 1963 times

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:49 pm

blaubär wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:28 pm
MotleyG wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:38 am
You need to go to the actual device screen. Just below the standard menu links at the top of the iTunes window there should be an iPod button.
Yep, that works, thanks !
You can drag&drop entire folders here. So if you have your library organized by "Music>Artist>Album>Disc-Track Title" (or anything similar) you can add entire Albums, Artists, or even your whole Music folder, if it fits on your device.

vitreiter

Re: Transferring to and playing on iOs without iTunes

Post by vitreiter » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:54 pm

Neutron only plays one song from list if iPhone screen is off !!

Exactly the same behavior on the iPhone 13 mini.
So far, I've used Neutron on iPhones with Touch ID for many years without issue.

I am surprised that the problem has been reported for a long time, but has not yet been resolved.

I wrote to the help desk.
The player cannot be used this way.

blaubär

Re: Transferring to and playing on iOs without iTunes

Post by blaubär » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:11 pm

vitreiter wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:54 pm
Neutron only plays one song from list if iPhone screen is off !!
Well, last time I used it on my iPhone SE it worked ... are there any options to allow background processing for the app ?

Edit: works on iPhone SE with iOs 15.7.7, Neutron 2.22.2

vitreiter

Transferring to and playing on iOs without iTunes

Post by vitreiter » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:15 pm

blaubär wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:11 pm
Well, last time I used it on my iPhone SE it worked ... are there any options to allow background processing for the app ?
In my opinion, the app needs to be fixed by the developer. Changing the settings doesn't help, tracks from the iTunes library play without any problems, everything works fine on iPhones with Touch ID. This is not standard behavior of the player, it is a bug.

And because the error lasts so long, I think the developer can't fix it. However, the player cannot be used this way. I will have to find some others that can play Hi-res.