Compensating Bluetooth Latency

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
christantoan

Compensating Bluetooth Latency

Post by christantoan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:57 am

Hello,

I'd like to know if it's possible to compensate for Bluetooth latency in Neutron (Android)? I.e. in my movie player I set it to -220ms (video plays first, then the audio). I've tried fiddling with Speaker DSP effect and Audio Hardware > Hardware/Software Latency but I don't think they're the right settings to modify as they can't be filled with negative values.

Thank you in advance!

blaubär

Re: Compensating Bluetooth Latency

Post by blaubär » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:01 am

christantoan wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:57 am
I'd like to know if it's possible to compensate for Bluetooth latency in Neutron (Android)? I.e. in my movie player I set it to -220ms (video plays first, then the audio). I've tried fiddling with Speaker DSP effect and Audio Hardware > Hardware/Software Latency but I don't think they're the right settings to modify as they can't be filled with negative values.
The reason for which will probably be the impossibility of travelling back in time, which you would have to do if you wanted to shift the output of a deferred transmission to the present.

christantoan

Post by christantoan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:05 am

Isn't it possible to play it internally first and then after the delay update the UI? That was I meant by negative "latency"

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:11 am

christantoan wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:05 am
Isn't it possible to play it internally first and then after the delay update the UI? That was I meant by negative "latency"
You mean a delay for the spectrum analyzer to synchronize it with the sound ? See "User Interface > Spectrum Analyzer > Delay"

sad.jpg
sad.jpg (43.25 KiB) Viewed 1895 times

christantoan

Post by christantoan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:31 am

Nice 👍
I somehow missed that

christantoan

Post by christantoan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:32 am

Ah, unfortunately it can't be tied to a Profile...
It's ok though
Thank you for the support!

WitzyZed

Post by WitzyZed » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:33 pm

Worthwhile feature request then to be able to tie spectrum analyzer settings to profiles?
Another feature request related to adjusting these settings, is to have a long-press on spectrum analyzer view buttons (the linear/log or track/output frequency) or even a third icon there to bring you to these settings. Whenever you’re trying to fine-tune the delay, constantly digging back to Settings->User Interface->Spectrum Analyzer is a chore, IMHO.

christantoan

Post by christantoan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:46 pm

Does the setting also affects the spectogram and peak meter as well? If not, I think it makes sense to couple these as well

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:31 am

So let's propose to
  • include the spectrum analyzer settings, especially the delay, into the profile mechanism
  • add a shortcut ( additional button or long press on existing button ) from the spectrum analyzer to its settings
  • extend the range of "Spectrum Analyzer > Delay" to the waveform widget on the playing now screen

christantoan

Post by christantoan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:35 am

Yep. Sounds right to me.
Thanks for summarizing.