AAudio Driver Support

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
Ikarus

AAudio Driver Support

Post by Ikarus » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:36 am

I wish In the next add the AAudio Driver, Which it has higher quality than OpenSL and AudioTrack

blaubär

Re: AAudio Driver Support

Post by blaubär » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:54 am

Ikarus wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:36 am
I wish In the next add the AAudio Driver, Which it has higher quality than OpenSL and AudioTrack
Could you elaborate ? Are you sure this is a proposal for Neutron - as far as I know there are no alternatives on Android. So this might better be placed with Google.

WitzyZed

Re: AAudio Driver Support

Post by WitzyZed » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:19 pm

AAudio : https://developer.android.com/ndk/guides/audio is another audio API (since Android 8 it is available). Claiming it is “higher quality” than OpenSL or AudioTrack is wishful thinking.

Per the developer of PowerAmp Music Player:
AAudio is just a different API (application programming interface) to the same Android audio subsystem. This API is shorter in terms of layers of code and is a bit more robust, but it also has bugs in some ROMs as it’s fresh and not tested by OEMs that well. In terms of audio quality Hi-res (properly configured) would be better.

AAudio is an output option in another app sure, but it’s limited in sample rate options and as stated above, occasionally buggy. Its use in Neutron wouldn’t benefit sound quality in any appreciable way.