[REPEAT] Please provide SMB v2 and v3 for network access

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
111MilesToGo

[REPEAT] Please provide SMB v2 and v3 for network access

Post by 111MilesToGo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:42 am

This request has been brought up many times, but nevertheless I'd like to repeat it: SMB v1 is sooooooo outdated, insecure, and actually banned by operating systems like Windows 10 ff. Linux's Samba can easily be set up to use SMB v1, but the headaches are the same.

Please, can we get SMB v2 and SMB v3 support for accessing network locations?

I would like to access music directories on my laptops in my home network, running Windows and Linux, resp. Please don't come back with arguments like "SMB v1 is safe when within a home network". Things like that have been mentioned here all too often. As a matter of fact, SMB v1 is dead and shall remain dead everywhere and forever.

Thank you so much in advance for considering SMB v2 and v3 support. Please let us know what the status and progress are.

redantpile

Re: [REPEAT] Please provide SMB v2 and v3 for network access

Post by redantpile » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:20 pm

I second this. QNAP recently turned off v1 by default. You can turn it back on, but the point is that it is not secure.

111MilesToGo

Post by 111MilesToGo » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:02 am

I‘d like to bump this request. Please, could this be done as one of the higher priorities? See, we are Windows 11 or at least 10 these days, 8.1 will not receive any support in January. Already Windows 8 had dropped SMB v1. So it is impossible or at least more and more painful to use Neutron MP with audio files sitting on Windows or Linux computers in the home network. I think if Neutron doesn‘t get SMB v2 and 3 support asap, it’s Network option will get useless from Windows /Linux point of views.

Thank you in advance.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:35 am

111MilesToGo wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:02 am
Already Windows 8 had dropped SMB v1. So it is impossible or at least more and more painful to use Neutron MP with audio files sitting on Windows or Linux computers in the home network. I think if Neutron doesn‘t get SMB v2 and 3 support asap, it’s Network option will get useless from Windows /Linux point of views.
Feel free to contact neutronmp@gmail.com directly, this seems to be an important issue.