suggestion: better use for "album artist" tag

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
rauschkind

suggestion: better use for "album artist" tag

Post by rauschkind » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:27 am

so right now neutron can use the "album artist" tag, but the only use is to use this tag instead of the "artist" tag, which seems to be just using redundancy to me.

however, i think this tag could be used in a more meaningful way.

let me explain my personal use case and why i think a different option would be useful:

in my library, i have a TON of audiobooks. i do not want to have them sorted in the list by autor because this would bloat my library to hell and back, making it less useable for browising music, which is my primary application.
so i replaced all the "artist" tags of my audiobooks by "audiobook", which makes them show up in one folder in my library, and put the autor into the "album artist" tag.
for me now it would be VERY useful to have the option to have a seperate layer of folders below "artist" which is defined by "album artist" (if present).

if this would be implemented, i could have my audiobook library sorted in a "artist" "album artist" "album" "track" style, which would be very useful for me as right now feel i have no good option at all to sort my audiobooks by artist.

of course, i am aware that there is probably a good use for the "album artist" already and that there will be users which love the functionality just as it is now. therefore, i would suggest to add an option to the "album artist" option within the media library configuration to toggle between the two behaviours.

edit:
another case where sorting as suggested would be extremely handy is classical music.
idieally i would want all works of a certain composter within the first layer of sorting, but in classical music it is also very common to sort by conductor. another layer of sorting would help a LOT, as right now its not possible to show all works of a conductor within one folder while also having a folder for composer.

MotleyG

Re: suggestion: better use for "album artist" tag

Post by MotleyG » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:42 am

My wish for AlbumArtist would be to have a fully separate list available from Artist. Having to choose one or the other is a limitation in Neutron that is unfortunate. In the traditional sense, one could then use the much shorter AlbumArtist list to drill down in this order AlbumArtist>Album>Song. But if you were looking for a specific Artist, that option would be to seek in the full Artist list and use a similar drill down path of Artist>Album>Song.

There already exists a field for Composer that Neutron uses. Currently the drill down is Composer>Album>Song, but this could be enhanced to become Composer>AlbumArtist>Album>Song to give better refinement.

The Conductor tag is currently not supported in Neutron, or any other mobile player I have tried over the years. I suppose that is a choice to keep the database size in check for older devices and how long an initial scan takes. But with faster phones with more memory on board, maybe this will be expanded in the future?

blaubär

Re: suggestion: better use for "album artist" tag

Post by blaubär » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:23 pm

I would propose to make the categorizations fully customizable, so that the users could use each and any tag.