Help for beginner, eg gain control

Support questions for Neutron Recorder only.
androiduser

Help for beginner, eg gain control

Post by androiduser » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:33 pm

I am totally new. so my 1st question is, is there a manual, where I can learn basics of recordings? Some features are not clear to me. Examples would be welcome.

Assume, I want to do a recording with an internal mic of an android phone in a living room, where someone sings not very load. The vu-meter stays more ore less "quiet" (-20dB), far away from 0dB.

I found out, that it is possible to reduce gain to less than 100 by moving the finger downwards on the green led of the peakmeter. But that is the opposite I want.

Using AGC (automatic gain control) does not work very good with dynamic voices.

I cannot put the phone / mic closer to the person for psychological reasons.

So please give me some advices, how to record a singer in a living room

blaubär

Re: Help for beginner, eg gain control

Post by blaubär » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:57 pm

androiduser wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:33 pm
I am totally new. so my 1st question is, is there a manual
No, there's no manual, and I rather doubt there ever will be one. Feel free to contact the developer via

androiduser

Post by androiduser » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:31 pm

So I cannot get RTFM as answer ;-) But maybe someone knows a good recording tutorial.

I tested a lot premium recording apps, none I liked more than Neutron. Other apps had the option to increase gain. I needed +12 to +18dB for my situation. I am pretty sure, that this can be set somewhere with Neutron too. AGC (DSP settings) does this somehow too, but I don't like the result.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:08 pm

androiduser wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:31 pm
So I cannot get RTFM as answer ;-) But maybe someone knows a good recording tutorial.
If you want something of this sort you'll have to write it - have a look at this topic .

androiduser

Post by androiduser » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:33 pm

Ok, thanks.

I am wondering, that nobody can answer my main question re gain control. Is there only AGC und if this doesn't work, you are lost?

I remember this old tape recording machines, where you simply increased the signal with a knob, that is, what I am looking for.

I want to record someone in a living room or a band in a small room with an Android phone without an external mic. The sound is not so loud. Other apps can increase gain, e.g. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... zinger.rec (Field Recorder - boost gain). I cannot believe, that this option is missing. English is not my mother tongue, so maybe it is a problem of my English.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:23 am

As I said before, there's no manual. Feel free to contact the developer.

androiduser

Post by androiduser » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:50 pm

I assume that you are using the app. What do you do to get the needed gain? I will write to the developer in the next time, before I want to "play" with the app to get more familiar with it.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:08 am

androiduser wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:50 pm
I assume that you are using the app. What do you do to get the needed gain?
No, I don't use the recorder. It's quite new, so probably few people do. Feel free to contact neutronmp@gmail.com for clarification.

androiduser

Post by androiduser » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:38 pm

Ok, thanks, that is why I was wondering, that no one could answer my question. It is simple basic, if you know it ;-) and every user needs it. I found it out myself now.

The slider "Preamp" does the job. From the main screen go the screen left beside.

This helped me:
Settings Recording / Automatic gain protection
... reduce the preamp gain

My goal was to get the opposite and the keyword is preamp.

I will collect my ideas with feature requests and then I write the developer. I am missing a led peak meter with peak holds where the vu-meter is and where the led-meter is, I miss the record / stop button. Touching the screen to do an action means "clicks" during a recording.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:44 am

androiduser wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:38 pm
I will collect my ideas with feature requests and then I write the developer. I am missing a led peak meter with peak holds where the vu-meter is and where the led-meter is, I miss the record / stop button. Touching the screen to do an action means "clicks" during a recording.
There's a forum "Development" where you also can add topics.