additional criteria for auto-switch dsp

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
blaubär

additional criteria for auto-switch dsp

Post by blaubär » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:35 am

Situation : Neutron can automatically switch between crossfeed and surround depending on the type of device used for output. Devices that have a microphone are regarded as headphones. For these devices crossfeed is activated, all other devices get surround.

Problem : there are headphones without a microphone

Proposal : add a further option to the existing auto-switch-option to make the distinction not depending the existence of a microphone but depending on the output device

Example : one could then use crossfeed for line-out and bluetooth but use surround for the speakers

Alternative : if that's too much of a bother, remove the "DITHER" button from the eq screen ( as probably nobody needs to change that anyway ), and make both crossfeed and surround permanently available there ( and of course make sure that they aren't both activated together :D )

mylo636

Re: additional criteria for auto-switch dsp

Post by mylo636 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:39 pm

if that's too much of a bother, remove the "DITHER" button from the eq screen ( as probably nobody needs to change that anyway ), .......

Wow. I think that I'm not the only man who switched off the dithering.
Example: I hear old music or have really old recordings, I prefer to switch off dithering in many cases.
It could be that I'm wrong. In this case told me please.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:50 pm

mylo636 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:39 pm
if that's too much of a bother, remove the "DITHER" button from the eq screen ( as probably nobody needs to change that anyway ), .......

Wow. I think that I'm not the only man who switched off the dithering.
Example: I hear old music or have really old recordings, I prefer to switch off dithering in many cases.
It could be that I'm wrong. In this case told me please.
Do you hear a difference ?

mylo636

Post by mylo636 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:05 am

That's too much. I took an app.😀

I guess so.
However, I also do not want to rule out that I imagine something ...... 🤔
First of all, I hear that the medium to high frequencies are slightly reduced, which significantly reduces the noise when I switch off 'dither'. but only for really older recordings, so actually post-digital.
It's a subtle difference, but I can hear it .
However, it is clear to me that, especially with such things as hearing, large differences are not uncommon among different people.
I have been busy with music for half my life and do not want to make the mistake of excluding another opinion.
Brighten my mind .... 😉
I'm glad to have found someone who maybe can.

mylo636

Post by mylo636 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:15 am

In addition:
Just listening to an old 'Doors' record. Not remastered! What I also call post-digital
I hear clear differences there .

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:07 am

mylo636 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:15 am
In addition:
Just listening to an old 'Doors' record. Not remastered! What I also call post-digital
Ok, then that's an argument to keep the DITHER easily switchable.
mylo636 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:05 am
First of all, I hear that the medium to high frequencies are slightly reduced, which significantly reduces the noise when I switch off 'dither'. but only for really older recordings, so actually post-digital.
Yes, dithering adds noise. Older recordings sometimes don't have frequencies > 8 kHz or so, so there the difference would be most easily detectable.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:54 pm

mylo636 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:15 am
In addition:
I had tried to hear the difference between dithering on and off, but didn't succedd. I then obtained a track contaning nothing but silence, still no effect. Just now I found out why this didn't work : I had Settings > Audio Hardware > DSP Effect (Device) disabled, that led to 32-bit output, so that there was no need for Neutron to dither at all. Enabling that option resulted in 16-bit output, so that might show the effect ! I'll have to wait for a quiet hour to try ...

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:49 pm

Also see Dither