Send multichannel music (5.1) to renderer not working

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Sophokles

Send multichannel music (5.1) to renderer not working

Post by Sophokles » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:04 pm

I use Neutron for many years and I'm very satisfied with it. Now I'm trying to send 5.1 Flac music to my BD player as a music renderer (Panasonic DMP-BDT700) because it has a 7.1 analog output and high quality DA-converters. I want to send the files from Neutron, because gapless playing is possible with neutron but not with the panasonic. But it does not work. Even if I set channels to 5.1, it only plays stereo. I tried a variety of options. I also have to set "format" to LPCM instead of flac, because it doesnt connect to the panasonic when I use flac (2.0 or 5.1), though the panasonic can read multichannel flac. Sending 2.0 files (format setting LPCM) works, but 5.1 is played as stereo. BubbleUPnP plays 5.1 to the Panasonic (and sends flac I think), so the Panasonic can receive those files from my network. But BubbleUPnP cannot play gapless and has in my opinion much inferior audio options, so I want to use neutron. Can anyone help?

blaubär

Re: Send multichannel music (5.1) to renderer not working

Post by blaubär » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:39 pm

Can you give us some screenshots of your configuration to make things clearer ? From what you write it seems you don't want Neutron to do the first part of the rendering ( decoding, gapless playing, dsp ) and then send the processed PCM audio to some remote DAC, but rather do what is described in Neutron as
Neutron can source music files from device or network sources such as SMB/CIFS, UPnP/DLNA, FTP, WebDAV and send audio either to headphones, or directly to USB DAC or to UPnP/DLNA or Chromecast renderer without a format limitation!
So if Neutron isn't supposed to render why or how would or could it transform the music from stereo to 5.1 multichannel, whatever channels you having configured for Neutron's rendering ? I'd expect that to be the task of the renderer.
Another question : do the Neutron dsp effects work in this setup ? From what I've understood so far I wouldn't expect them to, as it seems that all Neutron does is send the files to the renderer.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:47 pm

On the other hand ...
blaubär wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:04 am
also see Wikipedia : List of UPnP AV media servers and clients
Neutron Music Player, a cross platform UPnP/DLNA client which is able to read music files from UPnP/DLNA Media Server or send processed audio to UPnP/DLNA Media Renderer as an endless stream.
So it would seem that Neutron isn't supposed to act only as a dlna controller.
... which means that I probably was wrong on that occasion :D which leads us back to the question what YOU want to do ... do you want Neutron to send the files unprocessed to the renderer or do you want Neutron to decode and process and then send to the ... renderer ? DAC ? whatever

Sophokles

Post by Sophokles » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:23 pm

This is what I want to do:
The files I want to play are 5.1 multichannel flac files on a network storage. I want to play them gaplessly on my 5.1 audio system. I use a Panasonic dmp-bdt700 to play multichannel audio on my audio system. But it cant play the files without gaps. So I want to play them on neutron and set the audio output of neutron to the panasonic player. everything is fine with stereo flac files and they indeed are play without gaps. I dont know if the music is processed by neutron, but I think so because in the output settings I have to use LPCM as format and not flac (flac does not work though the panasonic can read flac), so neutron will decode the files before sending them to the Panasonic. The same thing does not work with the flac 5.1 files, audio is only stereo though original file is 5.1 and output channels are set to 5.1 on neutron output settings.

Sophokles

Post by Sophokles » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:29 pm

... in addition, I think that audio procession by neutron is necessary, because if Neutron would only act as dlna controller and send individual files to the renderer, the panasonic would again play them with gaps (as it does when i use BubbleUPnP, which indeed acts as a dlna comtroller in this case). As the stereo files are played without gaps when send from neutron, processing must have happened.

Many thanks for your answers!

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:05 am

Well, I suggest you contact neutronmp@gmail.com and ask for clarification. Feedback here from that would be highly appreciated !

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:46 am

Please retry with Version 2.15.4
dmitrykos wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 pm
2.15.4:
* Treat FTP entry as URL when opening track description dialog for a quicker access.
* Do not try to load network file's tags when opening playlist file to avoid large delay.
* Preserve network file when refreshing integrity to avoid blocked loading.
* Do not invalidate SMB source if shares were not detected but server is responding.
* Improved SMB source health detection on start and prevented SMB track unloading when health is being checked.
! Fixed:
- hi-res audio missing on some devices (NVIDIA Shield TV, USB DACs via Android and similar);
- external SD not detected on Samsung's Android 11;
- do not read ALBUMARTISTSORT tag to avoid incomplete Album Artist name (without A, The), ALBUMARTIST must be present instead (rescan source to correct database);
- compatibility with some streaming servers refusing to connect.

slyfennec

Post by slyfennec » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:48 pm

Hi,

I got exactly the same problem with my OPPO BDP-103 I use like a Media Renderer (DMR). Impossible to have multichannel, and the exit format is always 44,1 kHz/16-bit whatever are my options.
Actually I use BubbleUPnP, who streams natively all formats my OPPO accepts (PCM/FLAC/DSD 2.0->5.1) but like Sophokles, I can't play gapless, what Neutron do perfectly...

Is there a way to help to correct this trouble, that give me a great motivation to buy Neutron and use it daily.

Thks !

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:36 am

I suggest you document your case and send it to neutronmp@gmail.com, they'll know how to analyze this.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:49 pm

The problem is that some UPnP renderers support multichannel FLACs if they are files with a known duration. Neutron is sending endless stream and thus duration is unknown and while it works fine with 2 channel configuration somehow endless FLACs are rejected by some devices if they have >2 channels. So if you can stream 2 channel FLAC but >2 does not work then the problem is in firmware of the UPnP renderer.