[FIXED] Music folder mounted as nfs not read

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
bwiberg

[FIXED] Music folder mounted as nfs not read

Post by bwiberg » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:53 pm

OK, I have bought this great player app and like it a lot, but I do have a problem getting it to access my music. Like probably many others I have a large music collection stored on my desktop computer (in this case Linux).

On my brand new ASUS Transformer Pad tablet I have mounted this folder using nfs. This means I can access it like any other local folder on the tablet. This works fine in e.g. stock File Manager, ES File Manager and other music players like Rocket Player, Astro Player and ES File Manager's built-in player. But Neutron Player does not read anything! It does see the folder and I can add it to Sources, but it does not read any of the thousands of flac and mp3 files stored.

I can however take my external hard disc backup and connect it to the USB port. This way Neutron PLayer does read the folders as expected, so it's not a data problem. Only thing I can think of is that it might be due to some permission issue, so does Neutron Player have special requirements in this respect ? If it helps here is the statement I use to mount the music folder from a terminal window:

su -c 'busybox mount -o ro,nolock,intr,hard,vers=2 -t nfs 192.168.1.x:/foldername_on_desktop /mnt/sdcard/foldername_on_tablet'

As you see I have had to root the tablet and install Busybox to make this work, but this really should not affect Neutron Player functionality. Also maybe I should note that the folder on the desktop is ext3 formatted, but again this should be transparent.

Thanks in advance
Bendt

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Music folder mounted as nfs not read by Neutron Player.

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:16 am

Hi Bendt!

Thank you for the detailed problem description.

Currently I can't really comment and do not know what might be the problem. I will try to repeat the same situation under debug version of Neutron and check how it works for me.

May be somewhere Neutron fails on detection of file type and forces 'file' although when shared they might be 'links'... will find it out.

Will keep this thread updated with results & findings.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

bwiberg

Post by bwiberg » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:43 am

Hi

Thanks for your quick reply and positive attitude to my problem. Still the possibility of a permissions issue bugs me and after reading another thread in this forum on possible permission incompabilities after 'force close' (not sure what that means exactly) of apps on rooted devices like mine I would like to try to simply reinstall Neutron Player. Might help according to http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fix_permissions.

Will I then be required to buy the app again or how does that work ? Sorry if this should be obvious - I am new to world of Android and Google Play...

Thanks,
Bendt

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi!

I found one possible cause of the problem: Neutron was explicitly identifying files as REGULAR file. If Android OS treated your file as LINK then Neutron would fail using it. Now it fixed in the way that LINKs will work too. I hope it was the only cause of the problem.

> Will I then be required to buy the app again or how does that work ?

No. Unless you are using the same Gmail account for Google Play Store app.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

bwiberg

Re: [IN PROGRESS] Music folder mounted as nfs not read

Post by bwiberg » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:17 am

Hi,

Tried again last night, but unfortunately no change, but I don't know if I have your fix ? I am currently on version 1.60.

On a positive note I have succeeded in "cheating" Neutron Player to play my music in the nfs mounted folders. I can create .m3u playlists on my desktop, copy them to the tablet in e.g. sdcard/Music, modify the file names to match the folder structure on my tablet, add sdcard/Music to Sources in Neutron Player. Then NP will load the playlists and play the music when I select a playlist!! So NP can read my remote folders. Only the scanning via Sources does not work, so of course there are no entries in Artists, Albums and Songs. But at least I do have access to my music this way.

I could probably relatively easy write a small program to create such playlists for all my albums, but I would of course prefer to have the scanning issue resolved so that I can also make use of NP's browsing capabilities.

Thanks Bendt

PS: I did not understand your last comment. I bought Neutron Player through Google Play Store on June 28th (order number 1390703679294015) and to the best of my knowledge I do not use gmail . Think I saw somewhere else in this forum that I should have a license.key file, but I can't find it. Can you check that my license is OK ?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: [IN PROGRESS] Music folder mounted as nfs not read

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:13 pm

> I could probably relatively easy write a small program to create such playlists for all my albums, but I would of course prefer to have the scanning issue resolved so that I can also make use of NP's browsing capabilities.

Let's fix Neutron :) Writing such tool is just a workaround but I prefer to fix it. I've sent direct e-mail to you regarding this case. By the way the method with playlist was used for Google Music streaming here: http://neutronmp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=327

> Can you check that my license is OK ?

Yes it is ok. In your case you used non-Gmail account :) I simply got used that Gmail account is normally used with Google Play. But it works ok too in your case. Do not loose e-mail account as Google Play license is bound to it. 'license.key' is not required for Google Play.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: [FIXED] Music folder mounted as nfs not read

Post by dmitrykos » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:38 am

After test results it seems that in 1.61 the problem is solved.

bwiberg

Post by bwiberg » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:54 pm

Yes, I can confirm everything now works. Been enjoying Neutron Player all day. Thanks for your support and great work. Much appreciated.

huggy020

Post by huggy020 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:52 am

Where is the version 1.61. I have same problem

bwiberg

Post by bwiberg » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:45 pm

It is not out yet. Dmitry was just kind enough to send me a preliminary version to test his fix for this problem.