Transferring to and playing on iOs without iTunes

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
MotleyG

Re: Transferring to and playing on iOs without iTunes

Post by MotleyG » Fri May 06, 2022 1:09 pm

pholly wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:11 am
What a joke, this has nothing to do with Apple, [ mod : offensive contents removed, user warned ] There are lots of free apps that handle these things much better, I was just foolish enough to think a paid app which such a relatively high price would be functional and have a usable interface but it's actually worse than the free apps I've tried.
I have no idea what apps you have that manage external file storage any differently than how Neutron does it. You have an Apple device but don't want to use iTunes to manage it. This is 100% an Apple directive from the mother ship. And this is the same way all other apps with hi-res file capability manage it as well. If you don't like that option, perhaps you are more suited to an Android device - but a warning that Google is going down the same path with a very restricted file access as of Android 12.

pholly

Post by pholly » Fri May 06, 2022 7:43 pm

MotleyG wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:09 pm
pholly wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:11 am
What a joke, this has nothing to do with Apple, [ mod : offensive contents removed, user warned ] There are lots of free apps that handle these things much better, I was just foolish enough to think a paid app which such a relatively high price would be functional and have a usable interface but it's actually worse than the free apps I've tried.
I have no idea what apps you have that manage external file storage any differently than how Neutron does it. You have an Apple device but don't want to use iTunes to manage it. This is 100% an Apple directive from the mother ship. And this is the same way all other apps with hi-res file capability manage it as well. If you don't like that option, perhaps you are more suited to an Android device - but a warning that Google is going down the same path with a very restricted file access as of Android 12.

So you're saying that the reason this app can't download music from my NAS or a cloud service is simply because it's a Hi-Res player? Unless this is a rule of some sort with the App Store, there's no difference between downloading a lossles FLAC file and a Hi-Res FLAC file other than file size. Flacbox & CloudBeats can easily download files from numerous sources. Also, Onkyo's Hi-Res player can download songs from iCloud so I don't think it's a limitation imposed by Apple.

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Fri May 06, 2022 8:47 pm

pholly wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:43 pm
So you're saying that the reason this app can't download music from my NAS or a cloud service is simply because it's a Hi-Res player? Unless this is a rule of some sort with the App Store, there's no difference between downloading a lossles FLAC file and a Hi-Res FLAC file other than file size. Flacbox & CloudBeats can easily download files from numerous sources. Also, Onkyo's Hi-Res player can download songs from iCloud so I don't think it's a limitation imposed by Apple.
It isn't because Neutron is a hi-res player. But for anything hi-res that your friendly neighbourhood Apple Music can't play (FLAC, DSD), your iPhone by default doesn't natively support and sync wirelessly. So back to Apple to thank for making those limitations for us. In the cases of the apps you cite as examples, you still need to upload files from your PC to the cloud, just so you can download them back to your phone (for offline use of course). But your complaint was moving the files to your phone first place would take too long if you had to connect to your PC and use iTunes. This is just as time consuming, and not data friendly either. Kind of moot in my opinion, as nowhere in the feature list for Neutron does it mention or promote playing anything via the cloud (yet) anyhow.

But that is why there are 100's of media player apps out there. Looks like you are on at least 4 with the ones listed above plus Neutron. There were probably many more that in the end weren't worth the time and energy to download, from my own experience on IOS. Few if any have the same audio engine to sound as good as Neutron though. And certainly at the modest price compared to those few others that do sound good, it is more than fair value. If that was what you were looking for at least.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:33 pm

It must be some iOS issue because Neutron reports its background playback capability to the OS and it must keep its process working in background. There is no other way to do it differently on Apple platform.

PneumasaxVI

Neutron not seeing created folder on iphone

Post by PneumasaxVI » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:41 pm

I created a separate Music folder on my iPhone and Ipad and Neutron does not see them. I've tried configuring the "Media Library" and tried to add "Sources" all to no avail. How can I get Neutron to see these folders? :twisted:

blaubär

Re: Neutron not seeing created folder on iphone

Post by blaubär » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:14 am

Can other apps, besides Neutron and the app you created the folder with, see it?

MotleyG

Post by MotleyG » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:04 am

PneumasaxVI wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:41 pm
I created a separate Music folder on my iPhone and Ipad and Neutron does not see them. I've tried configuring the "Media Library" and tried to add "Sources" all to no avail. How can I get Neutron to see these folders? :twisted:
Music for Neutron has to be stored under the Neutron folder when using IOS devices. That is the only folder that it will permission for from the OS. It isn’t possible as of IOS15 to have a common Music\ folder and had different audio apps access it.

PneumasaxVI

Post by PneumasaxVI » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:47 am

blaubär wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:14 am
Can other apps, besides Neutron and the app you created the folder with, see it?
Yes. Every music app sees it but Neutron.

PneumasaxVI

Post by PneumasaxVI » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:48 am

MotleyG wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:04 am
PneumasaxVI wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:41 pm
Music for Neutron has to be stored under the Neutron folder when using IOS devices. That is the only folder that it will permission for from the OS. It isn’t possible as of IOS15 to have a common Music\ folder and had different audio apps access it.
So, how can I copy music files from a general folder into the Neutron folder?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:09 pm

PneumasaxVI wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:48 am
So, how can I copy music files from a general folder into the Neutron folder?
You could try these :
rymytutyu wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:38 pm
After I read your question, I tried the followings to send song to the app folder of Neutron:

- Upload as file via "iTunes" (not music syncing)
- Neutron built-in FTP server
- Files app + iCloud pull to iPhone
- Files app + SMB pull to iPhone

- AirDrop > Files app to app folder of Neutron

Most works except the AirDrop.
I further suggest you ask Apple .