Port to iOS

Submit your proposals and ideas here.
Hollowkenshin

Port to iOS

Post by Hollowkenshin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Hello,

I've been following Neutron for ages, and I'm a massive fan. It is the only player I use on Android.
Is it possible to port this to iOS? I like the smoothness of the UI and the awesome tweaks (crossbreed, pEQ) and I think people with iOS would be very grateful if you port this gem to iOS!

Thank you!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Port to iOS

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:04 am

Hi!

The next platform for porting is exactly iOS :)

Due to Apple's policy to close direct access to music files (unlike it was done by Google, BlackBerry) media scanning code will be adopted to special iOS API and it will take some time to implement, not considerable I hope. Also there will be possibility to store music files using FTP browser inside Neutron private file system, skipping iTunes, as alternative way. Other parts of Neutron, including UI, are fully portable across platforms, so it is a matter of re-compilation.

Before actual porting there are some high priority items to complete from to-do list, so it will also take some time but hopefully Neutron will arrive to iOS by the end of this year.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

Hollowkenshin

Post by Hollowkenshin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks for the reply,

I still use iTunes, only because it keeps music consolidated. I believe a FTP browser for files would needlessly complicate things.

You could make 2 versions, one for the appstore. The other for jailbroken iOS - that would allow direct access to music right?
But that would be unprofitable and also the market there is small. Just putting ideas out there :)

I'll be following Neutron media player closely!

Cheers!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 pm

> I believe a FTP browser for files would needlessly complicate things.

I will still think about it because all these plans are preliminary but idea behind it is that such functionality does not require jailbreaking to push audio files to device other than iOS/iTunes supported audio formats. Anyway, let's see how it looks in the end.