SMB

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
pauldroid

Re: SMB

Post by pauldroid » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:05 am

Hi Dmitry,
I'm having similar problems - same results from a Chinese no-brand tablet and my Samsung Galaxy S2. I'm trying to link to my NAS.

I followed the process of Sources > + > Network > NETWORK.

I then see a screen like this:
192.168.1.103 [wlan0]

If I press on that it comes back with
MSHOME\MAIN

This is my main PC - I can press on it and see its folders fine.

But I do not see my NAS (D-LINK DNS-320) which has IP address 192.168.111. I can see it and mount shares from my other PCs (also using Mount Manager from the same Android tablet).

If I try to create it manually (Sources > + > Network > +) it also never connects whether I enter its IP address or Network Name, with or without username and password,.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

the_impossible_dream

Post by the_impossible_dream » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm confused. I thought v 1.68.3 was the latest version?

I've searched BB App World and it still shows that version as the latest. Where can I get v.1.69.1 for my Playbook?

Have been desperate for this SMB capability, so would love to be able to load it.

Thanks

vovandopala

Post by vovandopala » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:23 am

dmitrykos wrote:
vovandopala wrote:I confirm this bug. I have smb share on my linux (openSuse 12.3) PC. All my devices are connected successfully, but not Neutron.
I am not sure about your statement :) There are some conditions which must be met to have access to end-point of LAN. The first obstacle is login and password. End-point won't even list shares to requesting side without authentication. You need to enter login and password for your sub-network and then try scanning end-points again (e.g. just tap on sub-network entry and see what Neutron shows).

Have you tried direct IP connection by using [+] button and entering IP, login, password of your PC? Have you tried NTLM authentication mode?
I have tried both NTLM and LM on direct IP address with login and password. Neutron lists shares, but can`t connect. For example, ES Explorer from Google Apps was worked fine. ( 192.168.1.8/myworld; login: media, pass: media).

Today, i have tried smb connection again on my XperiaS and Nexus10 and all work :)
Thx for best music player.

trondis23

Post by trondis23 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:43 am

seamonkeys wrote:I can find my PC's shared folder (windows vista).
However, the shared folder of NAS cannot be found even using direct IP.
I have the same problem, but in my case I don't think this is the fault of Neutron. My phone doesn't see my NAS as a SAMBA share either. There is an app called Sharesfinder that lists all shares it can find on your network. Sharesfinder see my NAS just as an FTP server, while my Raspberry Pi mounts my NAS as a SAMBA share without problems. I don't know if this is caused by the phone or the NAS. Maybe my phone is too old (HTC Desire HD).

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:36 pm

SMB/CIFS protocol is in software and thus hardware does not matter, nor how old device/OS is. Neutron has own implementation of this protocol, so there is no dependence on OS version too.

> However, the shared folder of NAS cannot be found even using direct IP.

Is it password protected share, or it allows anonymous connection? Have you tried changing LM or NTLM authentication methods?

There is planned next delta release (1.69.2) coming which will add possibility to specify direct share name in place of ADDRESS, for example:
\\MYDEVICENETNAME\\Music. It will be good for Windows 8 end-points, also there are improvements in authentication area and will be added NTLMv2 method which probably is default on some Windows 7 versions. Also Neutron will ist LAN end-points even if they do not have share folders, so that you will be able to long-press on entry and enter username/pass and re-try.

Normally NAS are operated by Linux and accept either LM or NTLM authentication, but if you did not force password protection for NAS it must work without additional actions. My dev NAS is Phillips SPD8020 which is not password protected because it is only for LAN and Neutron finds it well.

Anyway if there is no success now I propose to wait till 1.69.2 and see how it goes with that version.

neilcperks

Post by neilcperks » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:32 am

reguax wrote:Neilcperks ,
Are you using windows? what version?
Thanks!
Hi reguax,

My network drive is actually attached to my Asus RT-N16 Router, so it's always on and accessible from any device on the network. I have Neutron on my Android tablet, but access it also from Windows Media Centre on my Windows 8 machine and my PS3.

Cheers

Neil

aural111

Post by aural111 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Hello,

I pressed Sources > + > Network > NETWORK
and I then see :
192.168.1.14 [wlan0]

I press that link, it brought me:

192.168.1.1 (which is my router address)

If I press it, I got:

No directory...

Where did I miss?

Thank you,

Aural

neilcperks

Post by neilcperks » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:26 am

aural111 wrote:Hello,

I pressed Sources > + > Network > NETWORK
and I then see :
192.168.1.14 [wlan0]

I press that link, it brought me:

192.168.1.1 (which is my router address)

If I press it, I got:

No directory...

Where did I miss?

Thank you,

Aural
Hi Aural111,

Had exactly the same problem as you, so as I said in an earlier post I entered the Device manually. For the address, on my Windows PC, I went into Windows Explorer (or My Computer), and looked for "network" in the directories listing. I clicked on this and this lists all the devices, by name, connected on the network (in my case my wife's computer and the router HDD). My HDD was listed as "UNKNOWN" as I hadn't previously given it a name, but a valid name nonetheless.

So back in Neutron I went to the network screen and pressed the "+" key to add a network. For the address I entered "UNKNOWN", then also added user name and password. Pressed the "Tick" and hey presto it started compiling my music database.

If you are using SMB then you need to (at least I had to) set up the path to your music files on your router. In my case I am using Tomato software, so under "USB & NAS" > File Sharing > SMB screen I added the following to the Share List: /mnt/My_Book/Tunes/Music

This worked for me, hope this helps.

Cheers

Neil

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:32 pm

> Aural
> No directory...
> Where did I miss?

Probably you need to setup Share? Where in your LAN do you have NAS drive attached? Is it connected to router with 192.168.1.1, or it is another end-point. If it is another then you can try specifying its IP with [+] and also enter user/password.

There is bug in 1.69.1 which makes problems with Guest sessions. E.g. for Guest sessions user field must be empty but Neutron won't keep it empty if you have >1 registrations with user/password in the database. It is fixed already in dev. version. Also in next version NTLMv2 authentication will be supported too that is useful for LAN's with enforced high security.

aural111

Post by aural111 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:27 pm

dmitrykos wrote:

Probably you need to setup Share? Where in your LAN do you have NAS drive attached? Is it connected to router with 192.168.1.1, or it is another end-point.
That's not case, dmitrykos. I have several pcs (windows 7) as the same workgroup behind the router. Password protection is off and they can visit each other.
dmitrykos wrote: If it is another then you can try specifying its IP with [+] and also enter user/password..
I tried this way, but gave me the same result. 192.168.1.1 can be detected only.