Shuffle bug

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
rs219

Shuffle bug

Post by rs219 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:20 am

Ever since one of the last updates (don't remember which one, but in the last 3 months or so), Neutron has picked up a very, very bad habit which I view as a bug:

Shuffle will all of a sudden turn on.

This is really bad. I always listen to my songs by album and in the exact order of the album. The typical case is that I will have played a few songs and then turn off my Samsung 4 Inch Player. When I turn it back on, Neutron remembers which song was playing and even the time of where I turned it off so that I continue from where I was. But every once in a while (this is an intermittent and unpredictable problem), the Shuffle indicator will also be on and thus the next song to be played is no longer in order, but instead plays according to however Shuffle determines the next song to play in the album.

Like I said, it is an intermittent and unpredictable problem --- but it does happen, even often, and it is a problem. I thought at first it was because somehow the automatic update was doing something to reset the Shuffle to be on and thus turned off the automatic updates. But to my horror, with automatic update turned off, the problem happened again. While I still do not discount automatic updates also being a problem, the problem clearly happens with automatic updates turned off as well.

If you can't reproduce the problem, what can I provide you so that you can see the problem in order for it to be fixed? Just sending you a screen shot is not going to be much help. Are there any controls I can set to permanently shut off Shuffle? Just turning it off in the preferences apparently is not good enough.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Shuffle bug

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:25 am

Thank you very much for your detailed report.

I analyzed possible causes and the only reason can be is when Android OS is sending 'com.android.music.settingchanged' event through its stock music player core. Neutron is listening for 'com.android.music.settingchanged'.

Are you using only Neutron as music player?

One of possible solutions would be to add setting to disable listening to com.android.music.settingchanged if Neutron UI -> Settings -> Headset /... -> A2DP is switched off.

rs219

Post by rs219 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:35 am

Yes, I am only using Neutron as my music player. The default music player is on the device and while I don't use it, I can't uninstall it (not allowed).

Yes, please add a disable option for what you suspect and I'll be happy to test a beta version to see if that fixes the problem.

rs219

Post by rs219 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Here is the original problem reported. Another solution is to just add an option to disable shuffle altogether.