Sort by File Name Error

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
iMakeTea

Sort by File Name Error

Post by iMakeTea » Sat May 04, 2013 3:08 am

When I sort by FILE NAME everything is in the correct order, but the name of some files in playlists are displayed by TITLE of the song instead of by FILE NAME

All my song files and tags are named by Artist - Song. So in Neutron track list I will get:

Artist 1 - Song 1
Artist 1 - Song 2
Song 3
Artist 1 - Song 4
Artist 2 - Song 1
Song 2

It is still in order, but missing the corresponding Artist - seemingly at random. Not sure if having meta data or not affects it. When I go to the details of the mis-titled files in Neutron, it has the correct FILE NAME but (again) is displaying TITLE instead.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Sort by File Name Error

Post by dmitrykos » Sat May 04, 2013 3:56 pm

When FILENAME sorting order is chosen then Neutron is sorting entries by filename but still displaying them using their metadata. And you as I understand would like to have standard title replaced with just the filename? Could you please clarify. If you need title replaced by the filename then I think Neutron needs additional option in Settings -> Database which would cause such behavior.

iMakeTea

Post by iMakeTea » Sun May 05, 2013 5:29 am

Yes, having an option to have the standard title replaced with just the filename would fix my problems, but something else seems to be wrong here.

For some songs, the metadata in Neutron has only the song name under TITLE. In Foobar2000, the metadata (when I right click for properties of a song) for Track Title has the proper Artist - Song format. Track Title in Foobar2000 should be the equivalent of TITLE in Neutron, right? There seems to be different metadata for the same file between Foobar2000 and Neutron. I'm not sure why. I can't correct anything in Foobar2000 because the supposedly "wrong" TITLE from Neutron doesn't even show up in the properties.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun May 05, 2013 6:00 pm

> the metadata in Neutron has only the song name under TITLE

Could you please e-mail one such music file to me to neutronmp@gmail.com, it would help me a lot to understand the difference and make necessary adjustments.

iMakeTea

Post by iMakeTea » Mon May 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Sent you an email.

Also, is there any way to get rid of the numbering in front of each song for the tracklist/playlist? I went through the options and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate it!

Liveinthemoment

Post by Liveinthemoment » Fri May 10, 2013 3:11 am

To the op - all my albums are in Foobar2000 (I have multiple installations of this with different skins, inlc one of my own partially) and Neutron.

The answer seems obvious to me - check them using mp3tag freeware because I bet you will have multiple versions of tagging on your MP3s. I do as well but I made them all the same.

As for getting rid of the numbers - ru serious???? Just ignore them if you don't want them!!!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu May 16, 2013 9:20 am

> is there any way to get rid of the numbering in front of each song for the tracklist/playlist?

There is no such option currently.

iMakeTea

Post by iMakeTea » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Ah it's been a few months, and I forgot about this thread due to exams.

I tried using mp3tag. Some files seem to lack any tag but are still ordered improperly while others are fine (and don't have a tag). Seems to be random, and I haven't found any multiple tags as far as I can tell. I'll keep looking around in mp3tag.

To dmitrykos: It's been a long time, but did you ever check the song file I sent you via email? I'm just curious, would it take a lot of time to implement a sort by file name option (alphabetically, ignoring any metadata or file tags)?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:16 pm

> implement a sort by file name option

Such option exists for a long time already. Try long-pressing on a group of tracks you want to see sorted (som album, artist, or folder..) -> [SETUP] -> scroll the list of sorting options and select [Sort by 'Filename'] and confirm.