SMB Scan Aborts after about 85% through

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
millenium_neil82

Re: SMB Scan Aborts after about 85% through

Post by millenium_neil82 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 pm

I am also experiencing SMB scan not scanning the whole library. I have about 18000 songs in the music folder in NAS, but when the scan is finished, Neutron is only recognising 12000 songs. I'm using the latest version on iPad.

Eduardomec

Post by Eduardomec » Mon May 05, 2014 1:08 am

Dmitri,

I have a similar problem. I used to use only my internal memory and was able to upload ~ 8 GB into neutron library (usually about 800-900 files) without any problem.

I purchased an external 32 GB SD card to move the entirety of my music depositories there (i work offshore so I rotate long weeks out of home). However, neutron library hard-stops at file #1,000. It does not refresh beyond this, no matter what. I've tried reformatting the SD card multiple times, although it cannot be the case, as the file explorer is able to browse and play all files.

It is neutron that won't finalize the source refresh (the "refreshing" red pop up will stay there forever and eventually erode my battery - device gets very very hot. This current exercise comprises of a root folder called Music, and 4 subirectories with about 400 files each = the sum of all files add up to about 1,400 files.

I have a Galaxy S2, Cyanogen mod 8.1 AOKP, Syrah kernel. Works flawlessly with everything else, and used to work with your product until today.

This is not the first time I've had to resourt to your forum (I am the user that found the MPC playback bug) and your promptness to help is very appreciated.

Sincerely, Ed

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue May 06, 2014 9:30 am

Hi Ed,

> device gets very very hot

Most probably there is dead loop happening and I believe it is due to some files with specific metadata/format may be. What if you select some sub-folder folders for source, then if they scanned ok, edit source and select some more until you get to the problematic folder. If you are able to find the files causing the problem it would be great to have at least one for checking: neutronmp@gmail.com, or through Google Drive, DropBox, ...

Best regards,
Dmitry.

Eduardomec

Post by Eduardomec » Tue May 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Dmitry,

After re-formatting the card, scanning for errors etc and re-uploading all 22 GB to it, when I tried to play the music the files were found(in windows) but several files from a single folder were dead (no music played). After I rebooted the phone, the majority of the songs had just disappeared! apparently this is a SD card fault, not neutron. neutron is being unable to reach all the files.

When neutron scans a source to populate the playlist, what does it actually do? does it open and scan the internals of the file or just reads the file name? If it tries to read the files and they're corrupt, would this halt the processing and avoid a dead loop?

If so, maybe you could add a workaround to bypass faulty archives and solve this behaviour. However, this would not address the primary problem. I know it looks like it's not a neutron fault but, in your experience, are you aware of new SDcards corrupting/erasing files on their own? This is my first SDcard so I don't have great experience with them... I thought they would be like external HDs but apparently far less reliable... and Galaxy S2 is supposed to work OK with cards up to 32GB, which is the file in question.

As requested, please find a sample that neutron is not being able to play and halts the scan process:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/554 ... ajesty.mp3

Thanks in advance for your support, Ed

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu May 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi Ed,

> When neutron scans a source to populate the playlist, what does it actually do? does it open and scan the internals of the file or just reads the file name? If it tries to read the files and they're corrupt, would this halt the processing and avoid a dead loop?

Neutron opens file and tries to read its metadata. Additionally decoder is opening it as audio stream and provides estimated duration. All this information is saved to the database. If file integrity is broken then decoder will throw an error and Neutron will skip such file. If crash is happening during that file I/O then it is not possible to avoid it. Knowing forehand if file is good or bad is unfortunately impossible.

Thank you for the file. I checked its contents with Hex editor and it contains only 0s.

Dmitry.

Eduardomec

Post by Eduardomec » Thu May 08, 2014 4:55 pm

So now it is clear that my phone is either not being able to write to the SD card (consistent attempts show that it bugs after ~7 GB transfered) or the SD card is defective and won't write it's whole extent, but Neutron was a symptom, not the cause of the problem.

Thanks for your support and I hope this thread helps others with the same problem.

Given that I am speaking with the developer himself, is it possible to store config files (like equalization e.g.) in the cloud, to avoid having to redo everything again whenever I wipe the phone, or to save the configs if my phone is lost or stolen? Some apps are going towards that direction with dropbox sync and it is REALLY interesting. and are you planning on adding features to further enhance the sound or neutron is already considered complete? and how about providing EQ presets on upcoming updates of the product?

overall, this is the best player I've ever used. congrats for the good job.