Possible bug found (EQ sliders not working properly)

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
khoogyra

Possible bug found (EQ sliders not working properly)

Post by khoogyra » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:13 am

Hi!

So I've been seeking a program like this for quite some time now. Thankfully I'm here now and this is simply the best EQ I've found for use with a Subpac. For those that don't know, a Subpac is an induction subwoofer, in which you feel the bass rather than try to hear it. It saves your ears and lets you turn the rest of your audio down, yet still achieve a club like level of bass.

Anyway, I got the demo first and set up a 10 bar EQ with 28, 55, 82, 99, 130 and a few others. I then installed the full version and now I whenever I try to tamper with those EQ settings, I get obnoxiously large variances. Now I get 1, 67, 135, etc. as options. What I'd like is ~10, 25, 55, 75, 95, 110, 130, and then whatever. I don't even know if this will sound the way I want, but at least it's a starting position that makes sense. For now I'm going to install the demo again and edit, but it seems like this should be something that's brought to the dev's attention.

If anyone has any ideas for setting up my EQ better, please feel free to reply. Keep in mind that I'm only here because of the Subpac, and I'm pretty much looking to boost the bass from about 10-130Hz, as the Subpac deals in 5-130Hz.

Thus far though, even with these minor issues in setting up the EQ as I'd like, this has been an amazing experience. Turning on 64 bit processing added quite a bit of depth to the sub 80Hz textures. Really impressed.

Mobile

Re: Possible bug found (EQ sliders not working properly)

Post by Mobile » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:21 am

Your description is a bit unclear. You talk about the basic frequency per EQ band, I assume. Did you choose an EQ preset that has enough bands for what you want to do, like the 10 band one? In the PEQ you can adjust the frequency per band fully free. Just move the slider for that parameter...

Or maybe you didn't get the concept of 'Parametric' yet? For your application I would not use several bands but just one, and set Q and Frequency so that exactly the frequencies that you want to feel are amplified. TYA published a nice Excel sheet in this forum that also might help to understand.

khoogyra

Post by khoogyra » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:49 pm

Thanks for the response!

I'm sorry for being such a n00b. I didn't realise at the time that I could press the number and manually input values. So I was trying to set things to boost from 5-130Hz, and cut everything above that mark and tweak it from there to where I want it to be.

So in other words, yes, I hadn't really looked up what good practices on a parametric EQ are. As such, I'm now cutting everything from 180Hz and up, giving me a nice heavy bass range without destroying my ears.

I'll continue to look into good practices, but boy this player is exactly what I've been looking for for a very long time. The Subpac is great, but even on its highest levels, requires such a high input, that my ears feel like they're bleeding in just a few minutes. I have pretty sensitive ears to loud noises, and have even worn ear plugs in headphones to get around the issue stated above.

Has anyone ever heard of an inline 3.5 male to 3.5female high pass filter? I'm going to have a friend make me one, but that's largely because I can't find mention of one anywhere.

The Subpac produces sound from 5-130Hz and takes a 3.5mm input or Bluetooth 4. It then has a line out to your headphones. What I'd like to do is cut 130hz and below from my cans, as I think that will gain me some clarity in the music. My intention is to never 'listen' for the bass, but to 'feel' it through the Subpac. It's a clearer response and I find my ears experience less fatigue over an 8 hour shift.

Anyway, this player rocks and I get to enjoy my music even more than before! Now I need a good parametric EQ for my PC, so I can stop streaming from my phone over Bluetooth. I'm surprised how good the sound quality is over BT, when the right settings are chosen in the player. The bass textures are just astounding!

Thanks again and I'll just keep reading through the forum for tidbits of knowledge.

PS Music I listen to that is helped by a Subpac:

https://soundcloud.com/an-ten-nae/an-te ... e-crunk-ii
This set is produced on a Subpac and has the best bass textures I've felt yet.

https://soundcloud.com/perkulat0r/live-at-envision-2015
Another fantastic set

https://soundcloud.com/mihkal
The first 2 songs and first set (Live @ Coachella)
I realise that stuff won't appeal to many, but if you're looking for the best of the best bass, and I've scoured the net for 6 months now, those are artists I've found that are producing well textured bass, some of which is sub 30Hz, previously mostly unexplored territory, except by very certain Dubstep artists like Excision, who produces down to 7Hz for use on PK sound systems at festivals and such.

/endrant

khoogyra

Post by khoogyra » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:55 pm

And clearly I forgot to get back on track:

I've now set up a subtractive EQ rather than an additive. I haven't played with both enough to feel the difference in bass textures, but I assume it's there in some form or another. I've looked at the post from TYA regarding best setup for most users and turned on phase inversion, dither and crossfeed. I'll tweak those settings more later and set up a few more EQ's for jazz, vocal, traditional musics and such.

Mobile

Post by Mobile » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:13 am

Perkulat0r does some amazing stuff - currently rocking my living room - thanks for pointing that one out!