Support for multidisc albums and album artist

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
trondis23

Support for multidisc albums and album artist

Post by trondis23 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:24 am

The Neutron DB doesn't support multidisc albums or album artists. That is quite inconvenient, since I have to retag that kind of albums. With multidisc albums Neutron will play back by track numbers only, not by disc number first, then track number. And various artist albums will make a mess in the DB if you look up by artist. It also seems like Neutron can't read tags written with ID3v2.4. It will come out as Russian letters, I think (mirrored R etc.).

Is this something you plan to fix sometime soon?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Support for multidisc albums and album artist

Post by dmitrykos » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:45 am

Hi Trond! :D
> multidisc albums or album artists
I will try to implement it. Agree that it is not convenient.
> And various artist albums will make a mess in the DB if you look up by artist.
Could you please clarify this, at least with example? Do you mean those artists are shown in one line?
> It also seems like Neutron can't read tags written with ID3v2.4.
Actually it can but probably has bug with some special case used in metadata of your files. May I have one such file for analysis please? If you could e-mail it to: neutronmp@gmail.com it would be great, otherwise if too big I can provide access to my FTP. I suspect bug in handling UTF encoding.

trondis23

Post by trondis23 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:38 am

What I mean by various artist albums making a mess in the DB, is that it makes it difficult to find specific albums by going through the artist menu, because there will be too many artist entries. A compilation album can have maybe 20 different artists. If you only want to find a specific album, you don't want to browse through all the artists on a compilation album in your DB. With support for album artist you can just tag the album artist as "various artists", and then you only need to look up albums sorted under "various artists". Or, in the case of classical music, I prefer to set the composer as the album artist, and look up the albums by that composer instead of the different performers listed as artists. A typical classical album can have lots of different artists playing the works of a specific composer. Sometimes there is a long line of artists per track (soloists, conductor, orchestra).

Some programs have a specific entry for "album artist" in the DB (like Rockbox), in others there is a setting where you choose whether the program will show the album artist only, if that tag has been defined for the album (Foobar2000).

I am sending you a file tagged with ID3v2.4 to examine.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:00 am

Ok, I understood. Will try to implement. Thank you for the explanation!