Editing album, artist info

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
rtperryal1

Editing album, artist info

Post by rtperryal1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:07 am

I apologize if this has been asked before. When I first installed neutron on my Cowon Z2 player, I chose the option of letting neutron automatically enter the album, artist, song info. The result was incomplete and inconsistent...some artists were there for some albums but for many others it was missing. I can't figure out how to edit an album to enter the artist name. I tried to uninstall neutron and reinstall to choose the other option--to manually enter information-- but it doesn't come up. I must tell you that I have wav files and so no tag info is with them. I placed the artist in a folder, the album(s) in a sub-folder(s) and the wav files were in these sub-folders. I really neutron and the UI. Can someone tell me if neutron will allow me to edit the artist, album, and song information? Thanks for the help!!

Simmelweiser

I have not seen tag editing features in Neutron.

Post by Simmelweiser » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:03 am

Neutron doesn't edit metadata, as far as I know. What it does do is refresh the folders to read newly added songs, or it can "rescan" folders so it can update metadata that has been changed in songs that are pre-existing. If you were to update a song's tags on the device and only hit refresh, the information will not be updated in the player.

If you can make sure the song information is already present before you add files to your device, that is probably the least finicky way.

If the cowon z2 is an android device, there are tag editors available from the play store that work pretty well (it can take a bit of time to do it right, though)

rtperryal1

Re: Editing album, artist info

Post by rtperryal1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Thank you, Simmelweiser for the quick response. I may try one of the tag editors. Poweramp will allow you to edit tag info, but I prefer Neutron. Again, thanks for the info!

rtperryal1

Post by rtperryal1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:34 pm

Update: I tried a few tag editors but they don't seem to support wav files. Any tag editors to suggest that work with wav files? Thanks.

Simmelweiser

Post by Simmelweiser » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:53 pm

A tagging app I am fond of is called 'Audio Tagger.' There is a free version in the play market, the icon looks like a wax seal and ribbon. (If you use it, use the back key to get out of the program after tag updates, it has a tendency to seize up on me if i hit home key to exit. Otherwise, it is good.)
I am thinking Wav files aren't labeled the way something like an mp3 would be. Possibly you could build playlists or a cue sheet to label the audio. WAV is a lot older format, and it looks like there is no standard place in the file to put that kind of information. Have you considered compressed formats? FLAC comes to mind and it is excellent. You would save some space also, with that. OGGvorbis has bitrates ~400-500 kbps and is supported by this player.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:13 pm

Neutron supports reading of tags inside WAVs but in general metadata is not well supported by format itself. I advise to convert WAVs to FLACs which support metadata like MP3s. FLAC format is lossless, so there is no any loss of quality and CPU overhead is small because FLAC decoder is quite fast. Neutron has in to-do the future option which will allow converting lossless tracks to FLAC and OGG (lossy) formats.

As to tagging app, try Mp3Tag for PC: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

rtperryal1

Post by rtperryal1 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to post the information. I'll try Audio Tagger and I'll keep in mind the suggestion to change to FLAC.