Blackberry Playbook OS 2.1 Playback issues cracking sound

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
rvirgin

Blackberry Playbook OS 2.1 Playback issues cracking sound

Post by rvirgin » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:52 am

Hi there!

I updated to the latest release this morning, and since the playback has been crackling and popping, as if the processor can not keep up. It is worse when on the home screen, and improves quite a bit when on the playback setting screen. (where the EQ, Mute, Dither options are)

Being a Playbook, I am not sure if I can revert to the previous version. HELP!

rvirgin

Re: Blackberry Playbook OS 2.1 Playback issues cracking soun

Post by rvirgin » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:18 am

Added observations; moving the slider while in preamp mode creates an awful noise, similar to what the playback noise, but much worse.
I've tried 32bit, turning off audiophile, turn off all DSP. No change. Sounds terrible.

Archosian

Post by Archosian » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:20 am

I have this same issue with my Playbook when I upgraded Neutron today (PB worked perfectly on older version). Again as previously noted there is a crackling or slight stuttering sound (2 or 3 times a second) like the processor can't keep up. Reboot did not help. Not sure if there are time consuming background processes Neutron has running that may be contributing. Definitely unlistenable now.

rvirgin

Post by rvirgin » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:19 pm

So its just not me! I was worried it might be my PB, as its got some mileage on it. I refuse to give it up though as the DAC is still one of the best for a 'tablet.' dmitrykos HELP! I'm lost without this app!

rvirgin

Post by rvirgin » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:50 pm

Little OCD today;
If on the main screen (Play, fwd, bck buttons) and you adjust the volume on the PB hardware buttons, which brings up the GUI volume slider, and you put your finger on the GUI slider, the distortion stops. Take off your finger from the GUI slider, it starts. Consistently.

Okay I must leave the house now...without....sniff...my PB

musicologist

Post by musicologist » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:13 pm

The mpeg engine is failing, WAV and FLAC files play properly.

strak

Post by strak » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:25 am

I'm a sad me too. Crackling and stuttering. Reboots and device backup and restore did not help. (.mpg files is all I have) Please help - this is a great application and the main reason the playbook is still operational. Thank you.

PBtoad

Post by PBtoad » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:11 pm

yup - same issue
the stuttering happens every 5-8 seconds, had to uninstall from both my Playbook tablets (sad)

PBtoad

Post by PBtoad » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:21 pm

btw - previous release 1.78.6.3 works fine

Archosian

Post by Archosian » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:07 pm

I have done some more experimenting and have determined that while I am in the main playback screen (the one with the album cover) there is stuttering, however if I open the equalizer menu (the one with the gain control, equalizer controls and freqency graph) while the music is playing the stuttering stops. Going back to the main menu the stuttering returns. The stuttering seems to happen while in every screen except for the equalizer screen.

I tried to upload an mp3 that highlights the problem but this was not allowed by the forum bulletin board.