Bunch of problems

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
naga

Bunch of problems

Post by naga » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:37 am

Hey! I just recently bought the app after using the trial version for a few weeks. I must say I really like it and the sound quality is excellent, but unfortunately I have quite many problems with it. I've been looking through the forums today to find solutions to my problems and found easy fixes to quite many of them. However, I still have a few problems with Neutron:

1) The biggest problem I have at the moment is the lack of sound. What I mean is that the player plays the songs but there is no sound at all. The mute isn't on and I've looked everywhere to find something that would completely disable sound but haven't found anything. Turning sound higher or lower has no effect at all, nor does being plugged into a headset/speakers have any effect. Oh and I'm using HTC Sensation, the default music player works just fine. I even had this problem with the trial version a few times, re-installing fixed it, but now even that doesn't help, nor does rebooting the phone :/. Yesterday the app was still working fine, I didn't touch anything, and now this happened, weird.

2) I have a little over 1000 songs on my phone but the app only finds a little under 400. They're all MP3 files aswell. Somehow earlier I managed to make it find all the 1000 songs by jerking around with the "Database" options, but now even that doesn't do a thing. I have the folders selected properly and I've tried refreshing but it didn't help. It seems that neutron finds the "proper" audio files, like music copied from an artist's CD, but it doesn't recognize the songs I've downloaded from youtube etc.

3) Then there's the option to sort the songs by filename (alphabetical order ftw), but it doesn't seem to work for me at all. Even after selecting the sort by filename under "Songs", the music still stays in the same order as it was. Nothing changed.

4) Not really a problem, but is there a way to make new playlists and add invidual songs to those playlists? So far I've always just added songs to the queue, making me basically have just one playlist.

Anyway, I'd like to continue using the program but the lack of sound kinda makes it impossible at the moment :D It bothers me a little that I couldn't find any info considering these things on the forums and it kinda seems like it's just me with these problems, so I think I've just fucked everything up myself :lol: well, thanks in advance!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Bunch of problems

Post by dmitrykos » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:02 am

Hi! :)

> 1) The biggest problem I have at the moment is the lack of sound

It sounds strange to me and looks more like a bug inside Android firmware of your device. Trial and paid versions are both absolutely the same with difference that trial version expires in 5 days, so one can't work better than another. The specs of HTC Sensation look sufficient for normal operation of Neutron. Are you using stock firmware, or custom?

> 2) I have a little over 1000 songs on my phone but the app only finds a little under 400.

Please make sure that Source entries point to the top-level directories with your music files. They all shall be found if you correctly pointed to those directories. Also there were reports similar to yours when user has more music files than Neutron found but in all of those cases it was either the fault of firmware, or external SD. If you keep music files on internal SD then I advise you to make firmware reset as it seems that your Android OS misbehaves (especially taking into account (1)).

> 3) Then there's the option to sort the songs by filename

If you long press Songs and select needed sorting order it shall be working fine. I tested it after your report on my SGS2 and SGS and both work as expected. Sorting changes order of songs in Songs section. If you select sorting order and after DONE re-enter back to that screen do you see previous selected option switched on?

> 4) Not really a problem, but is there a way to make new playlists and add invidual songs to those playlists?

It is planned feature. Currently you can make playlists by adding songs to the Queue and then using export to external file-based playlist (long press on Queue section).

naga

Post by naga » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:39 am

Hey again!

1) Yah I'm using stock firmware, haven't touched it at all, I'll probably reset it later on to see if it helps. Gonna try uninstalling the program again as it helped earlier with the trial version. Doubt the lack of sound is neutron's problem at all.

2) I have a folder for music on my SD card. In my music folder I have three folders: Notifications, ringtones and finnish. I had those 3 selected as sources and it found only 400 songs in them, but after selecting just the "Music" folder, it found all the 1100 songs, seems weird, but at least it's working now :D

3) Only the "sort by title" option seems to be working for me. None of the other sorting options had any effect on the order of the songs in the songs list, although they were properly selected even after hitting "done". Achieved the order I wanted by the sort by title option though, so all's fine for me in that case.

I'm going to play around with the program a little now, reinstall etc, see if it helps. Though most of these problems seem to just be related to a fucked up SD card / firmware as you suggested. I've never actually done a firmware reset myself and tbh I have about zero clue how to do it, but my friends are much more experienced with these kinds of things so I'll just ask them for some advice :) Or then I could just google how to do it but I'm a slacker, shouldn't be a hard thing to do at all. Anyway, I'll edit this post if anything changes :mrgreen:

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:20 pm

> but after selecting just the "Music" folder, it found all the 1100 songs, seems weird, but at least it's working now
Ok, will try to reproduce and test such behavior.

> Only the "sort by title" option seems to be working for me.
This is really strange! I can sort Songs or any group by all categories listed...

Sometimes external SD card can be a problem. I had mine erasing all data 2 times. I noticed it happens if USB connection was interrupted while external SD was opened as directory on PC. Sometimes external SD could result in very slow music reading and seeking the stream. Usually reformat helps to have it working ok. Internal SD is always working fine and fast.

Kozlow67

Post by Kozlow67 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:36 pm

I also had a lack of sound after a most high setting of equaliseur
NMP has Master and Preamp digital volume management , that cut the sound to protect your heards and smartphone !
I recover the good sound, after preamp completely disabled, i saw that the gain cursor was to zero ...
( when you re intall the app, you are using stock settings , and the sound is good )

look at the preampli be careful to your own settings, perhaps too strong !!!
sorry for my poor english, I'm french !!!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed May 02, 2012 10:47 am

> I recover the good sound, after preamp completely disabled

But it can't be disabled. Even if Preamp button is not active it does not mean that Preamp gain is not applied to sound. Preamp button is just toggling between Pream/HW Master gain.

But it is possible to avoid Preamp gain changes made by Neutron due to overloaded audio by disabling Automatic Gain Control in Settings, then press Reset Gain & EQ which will reset all gains to 0 dB (e.g. no changes). Also I added possibility to have Preamp gain reset to previous level automatically on each new track: Settings -> Automatic Gain Control -> RESET GAIN (make sure gain there is 0.0 dB if you wish to have no amplification) switch it ON and make sure UI ONLY is switched OFF.