Generic Driver - Hi-Rez Codec (Direct PCM)

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
jesseinsf

Generic Driver - Hi-Rez Codec (Direct PCM)

Post by jesseinsf » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:39 am

Why all of a sudden the "Hi-Rez Codec (Direct PCM)" only does Maximum volume? How do I know the custom setting uses the Quad DAC in my LG-v30?

blaubär

Re: Generic Driver - Hi-Rez Codec (Direct PCM)

Post by blaubär » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:32 am

Perhaps this here is something similar :
dmitrykos wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 pm
jesseinsf wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:54 am
The July 22, 2019 update broke the volume for the app. Now it only plays maximum volume or no volume.
It looks like some misbehavior on your device, there are no similar reports. Please try uninstalling Neutron, reboot device and install Neutron again from Google Play. Will problem persist?

iefc007

Post by iefc007 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:51 am

I have volume problems with my LG G7 due to the last update of July 2019 of Neutro Player, apparently it has added more decibels of volume and now I have sound saturation especially in FLAC files (16 bits / 44.1 Khz), frankly it has lost quality and fidelity even in the Hi-Res files of the FLAC format, as well as the DSD files (DSF - DFF) ... [ edited by mod - no need to advertise in this forum ]

I've noticed lately that the hardware configuration of the Neutron does NOT use the four DACs that the LG G7 has ... [ edited by mod - no need to insinuate that there is no support ]

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:02 am

iefc007 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:51 am
apparently it has added more decibels of volume and now I have sound saturation especially in FLAC files (16 bits / 44.1 Khz), frankly it has lost quality and fidelity even in the Hi-Res files of the FLAC format, as well as the DSD files (DSF - DFF)
Then you probably increase the amplification in some equalizer bands and/or the preamp. Activate AGP ( automatic gain protection ), that will decrease the preamp to a safe level.

7720197322.jpg
7720197322.jpg (37.11 KiB) Viewed 4590 times

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:08 am

iefc007 wrote:
I've noticed lately that the hardware configuration of the Neutron does NOT use the four DACs that the LG G7 has
How do you see that ? Could you provide more information, perhaps a screenshot of Settings > Audio Hardware ?
And what DAC do you think Neutron uses ? If you hear any sound, where do you think that comes from ?

iefc007

Post by iefc007 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:37 am

blaubär wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:08 am
iefc007 wrote:
I've noticed lately that the hardware configuration of the Neutron does NOT use the four DACs that the LG G7 has
How do you see that ? Could you provide more information, perhaps a screenshot of Settings > Audio Hardware ?
And what DAC do you think Neutron uses ? If you hear any sound, where do you think that comes from ?
The four DACs that the LG G7 has have some activation and deactivation settings on android 8.0, the button that is seen in the image when activated and deactivated does not stop the sound and does not make any improvement or quality change, which does happen With other audio players, the activation of the four DACs of the LG G7 significantly improves sound quality by activating the ESS ES9218P QUAD DAC ™ DAC chip, HyperStream® II, which according to its manufacturer has a 0.0001% harmonic distortion and rejection of noise (such as distortion) of digital audio files.

He was very happy with the Neutron BEFORE the last update because frankly he turned up the entire volume with AGP and the sound was simply spectacular!

P.D .: I understand that Neutron Player does not use the DAC of the playback device hardware, but that the signal skips it via software ... Is that so or am I wrong?
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-08-07-00-30-29.png
Screenshot_2019-08-07-00-30-29.png (234.39 KiB) Viewed 4579 times

iefc007

Post by iefc007 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:40 am

blaubär wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:02 am
iefc007 wrote:
apparently it has added more decibels of volume and now I have sound saturation especially in FLAC files (16 bits / 44.1 Khz), frankly it has lost quality and fidelity even in the Hi-Res files of the FLAC format, as well as the DSD files (DSF - DFF)
Then you probably increase the amplification in some equalizer bands and/or the preamp. Activate AGP ( automatic gain protection ), that will decrease the preamp to a safe level.

7720197322.jpg
AGP always has it activated and the problem continues, it seems that the last update has modified the way the player uses the 4 DACs of the LG G7, BEFORE the last update he listened to spectacular audio quality, without distortion at maximum volume and ZERO saturation without using AGP ... (now it seems that AGP works little or hardly in regulating the saturation peaks of FLAC files). In the next update could you improve and optimize the work of the four DACs of the LG G7 model?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:52 am

iefc007 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:37 am
P.D .: I understand that Neutron Player does not use the DAC of the playback device hardware, but that the signal skips it via software ... Is that so or am I wrong?
To convert digital signals to analog music you have to use some hardware, that is a DAC. But who knows, perhaps the G7 has a fifth DAC as default ... anyway, this has to be answered by the developer. I'm sorry if you cannot use Neutron as you were used to - perhaps you can install the previous version until this solved ?

iefc007

Post by iefc007 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:37 am

blaubär wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:52 am
iefc007 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:37 am
To convert digital signals to analog music you have to use some hardware, that is a DAC. But who knows, perhaps the G7 has a fifth DAC as default ... anyway, this has to be answered by the developer. I'm sorry if you cannot use Neutron as you were used to - perhaps you can install the previous version until this solved ?
Thank you very much for your time in trying to help me improve the audio of Neutron on my LG G7 (I am an audiophile fan of sound quality in digital devices), for me it is important that a smartphone offers the highest audio quality and I will try to Make your recommendation to use a version before the last update.

But please, if you are the developers of this wonderful and spectacular Neutron Player, optimize the work of the Neutron with the Quad DAC chip of the LG G7.

And I also leave two concerns:

1. I also have problems with the song equalization database when I use them with the NORMALIZATION option, these normalized equalization settings disappear from time to time and most of all in each UPDATE ... as well as these settings Normalization disappear when I disconnect from an FTP or NAS server. I have verified that the file of my database of the standardized songs 'eq_presets.xml' has a size of 569 KB for 3800 songs and decreases its size significantly to 56 KB when I disconnect from the FTP or NAS server (there I have the majority of my songs), when I reconnect to the FTP or NAS server, the normalizations of my songs simply disappeared and I am forced to return to normalize them all (pulling the data from the FTP or NAS server whose work takes me about 24 hours to have DSF - DFF files up to 1 GB in weight) ... Will there be a possibility that the database can be better managed in the next update? Could it be a FIXED normalization database without being deleted? Or delete when one decides?

2. Optimize the playback of the FTP files or NAS server, these have playback problems and the Neutron Player hangs up or stops playing music from time to time over the Wi-Fi and private network with a PC.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:17 am

iefc007 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:37 am
optimize the work of the Neutron with the Quad DAC chip of the LG G7.
I found this :
Shing wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:40 am
I am currently using the LG V20 and found that using the generic driver lets you toggle the Quad DAC again. Hope that solves your problem.
I suggest you set everything in Settings > Audio Hardware to defaults, if need be uninstall and reinstall, and then try again.