SFTP scan issue

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
pob

SFTP scan issue

Post by pob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:30 pm

When I scan my NAS folder locally, Neutron registers approx 26,000 songs

However, when I scan via SFTP using the mobile data connection, it scans but stops each time at 17,760 exactly.
I did a deep clean of directory labels (remove #, %,&, etc) as per a previous post on the forum but cannot seem to get it to reach the 26k figure.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Phone - Oneplus 6T, Android 10

blaubär

Re: SFTP scan issue

Post by blaubär » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:04 am

Can you use another sftp-client and check the number of songs it sees ?

pob

Post by pob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 am

Not as easy as it sounds.

Music players that connect to remote sources are uncommon. I can certainly find an sftp client but to filter by music files only seems to be the challenge.

Can you recommend something?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:35 am

No, I can't. I didn't mean to try to play the music, just to make sure that the problem doesn't come the sftp server. If other sftp clients also don't see all files we would know that it's the server.

pob

Post by pob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:40 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried a couple of clients but have not found anything that will filter out the songs from the album art.
Really at a loss how to troubleshoot this.

If it was server side - what kind of thing should I be looking out for?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:45 pm

What do you mean by "filter out the songs from the album art" ? And what has that to do with your problem ? Which was that Neutron as sftp client doesn't see all 26k songs, but only ~18k, correct ? if you look at the songs with other sftp clients, how many songs do you see ? As for server issues, ask the server hotline.

pob

Post by pob » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 am

blaubär wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:45 pm
What do you mean by "filter out the songs from the album art" ? And what has that to do with your problem ?
What I meant here, is that the music library files are made up of songs as well as album art. The aim was to filter for songs only. In addition, this is tricky because of multiple song file formats.

I have not found an sftp client that will do the above.

I contacted the server support team. They ran tests and confirmed that they do not impose any file limits on sftp or otherwise and there is no setting that will restrict the files presenting via the sftp connection.

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:00 pm

pob wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 am
What I meant here, is that the music library files are made up of songs as well as album art. The aim was to filter for songs only. In addition, this is tricky because of multiple song file formats.
It is still not clear to me what you want to do and what you think Neutron's part in this might be. Neutron looks for album art in the metadata of the music files, the so called "tags", and in the directories where the music resides. If an album art exists in the metadata and either no image file is found in the diretory or Settings > Media Library > Prefer Metadata Album Art is active then this album art from the metadata is shown. If an image file exists in the directory and either no album art exists in the metadata or the prefer-metadata-option isn't set then this image is shown. You cannot select songs depending on the existence of album art.

pob

Post by pob » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:29 pm

It was suggested to use an alternative sftp client to check how many songs could be read.

There are not many audio players that connect to remote libraries. So that means I must use general remote connection clients (putty, etc). These are not audio players - so it is necessary to filter for songs in order to do a count.

I have repeatedly attempted to remotely scan using Neutron. It has never completed the scan. This is evidenced by the number of songs listed (local source - song count 26,434, remote sftp source - song count 17,760).

As the server has no restriction on file limit, my question is could there be a limit in the Neutron app?

blaubär

Post by blaubär » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:04 pm

pob wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:29 pm
As the server has no restriction on file limit, my question is could there be a limit in the Neutron app?
Not that I know of. My own Neutron installation handles some 23k songs, and that's surely not the largest music library handled by Neutron.
maligno wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:55 pm
[...]
I have Neutron installed in an Android home media player. Through network and Samba I retrieve the music from a PC. My music library is huge (8.500 hours of FLAC files), it took ages to retrieve it completely (normal) but after hours I could reach any song or album and during years, I was able to retrieve the list and could navigate the folders and play the music without problems.
[...]