[UNCONFIRMED] Gaps during playback

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Tanveer

[UNCONFIRMED] Gaps during playback

Post by Tanveer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:57 am

Hi there, I've been a neutron user for sometime now and I love the app and all it can do. I mainly use it to playback music in my car using bluetooth. I recently changed my phone and noticed a weird issue when I playback tracks, every few minutes (sometimes less) the song seems to stop for a mili second and then continue, this ends up happening a few times for each song. I am running a quad core 1.5 Ghz phone so not sure if it's a CPU issue, the memory is 1 Ghz. I run off mostly the default settings with minor tweaks (mostly cosmetic). If anyone knows a possible solution to this problem, kindly help. Thank you.

P.S: I have tried changing the resampling from audiophile to quality and vice versa with no luck.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Gaps during playback

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi :)

Changing resampling will not help because most Android devices are using hardcoded output format 44.1/16. So, if you are listening music and it is 44100 hz then there is no re-sampling happening.

Such pauses could be caused on OS level because quad CPU increases chance for deadlocks or too much locking in incorrect code.

It is definitely not a performance issue because Neutron can be running well on single core CPU with less than 1 Ghz, but it can be a problem inside Android OS audio core.

You could try the following: go to Neutron UI -> Settings -> Audio Hardware -> decrease HW latency to minimum and check results. Then you can increase it to > 250 ms and also check results. Changing these parameters will change the frequency of calling Android OS API.

It will be great to know the results.

Tanveer

Post by Tanveer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:18 am

Thanks for the quick response, the issue is resolved now. Turns out having the 64bit processing on was the issue. Turning it off fixed the problem.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Then it means that 64-bit mode was triggering some incorrect threading code inside audio kernel of Android OS. 1 Ghz is enough for 64-bit rendering and on 1 Ghz Galaxy S it is playing without any issue. Anyway, good that at least 32 bit mode is playing well.

Tanveer

Post by Tanveer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Looks like the issue wasnt fixed. I havent changed the setting since and the gaps are back. Will try a complete new onstall.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:35 am

May be your device is running some CPU intensive process which takes most of CPU time? Another issue could be if you are using custom process scheduling scheme (like 3-rd party apps which allow to lower CPU frequency for battery saving).